From "Extreme" Graphics 3D to Radeon 9250 PCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellspark

So hey everyone, I'm kind of a complete noob, but I need some help. I recently (like 30 min. ago) bought a Radeon 9250 PCI vid card. I was desperate for some kind of upgrade, and this looked pretty good and fit requirements as far as I could tell. Anyways I was trying to replace my relatively crappy "Extreme" graphics 3D crap that came integrated with my PC. So I followed all the instructions throughout the box and thought I would finally be able to see Master Chief in all his iradescent green glory, when I hit a roadblock. Nothing had changed. It was still running the same way. I poked around in the device manager and found the secion where my graphics stuff was. It listed my Extreme Graphics 3D, my Radeon, and Radeon (secondary). All of them were enabled. So I thought "hey, I'll just disable the Extreme and all my dreams will come true!" So I did, and it told me to restart. Once it was booted back up again, everything was really big, really pixely, and there were very few colors displaying. I tried changing the settings in Properties, but that changed nothing. Eventually I just enabled my old crap and things went back to normal. Please help me! Thanks

Hello and welcome to techspot.
Do you mean Intel Extreme Graphics?
generally we know what are the steps, like:
1. Uninstall and the drivers in device manager, DISABLE it then
2. Turn off
3. Insert the GPU card
4. Disable the IGP (Ext Graphics) in BIOS one more time
5. Install the ATI / nVidia software and device drivers (i.e catalyst)
6. restart

i know you have do the abovelisted method, but i didn't see above that you have install the ati drivers AFTER disabling EG.

Big pixel and few colors probably 640x480 (default) and 256 colours, and it's the default your gpu could produce w/o a proper driver. for example, in a safemode (which the driver are turned off), my MR9700 also use 640x480 with 256 colours as the drivers are OFF.

so, i think you might consider taking a REINSTALLATION one more time and if the problem persists, please write your COMPLETE system specs so that it will help other TSmembers to help you

Good luck:)

((thx fin3st for what i've forgot, ive edit em))

Remember I'm a noob and don't know nothing. Some of the things you (nismo91) said confused me a little.
1. Which drivers should I disable?
2. OK here
3. IGP? BIOS? I saw nothing of the sorts in device manager.
4. GPU means my new video card, right? So I need to take it out and put it back in??
5. and 6. are OK

ok i'll try to explain in simpler way:

1. Go to device manager
2. Go to display adapters, make sure you find the *Intel XXXXXG controller*
3. Right click on it, uninstall it.
4. Then, scan for hardware changes (on top)
5. There's a pop-up message and there's a yellow (!) on the target (display).
6. Right click on it, DISABLE it.
7. Turn off
8. Insert your new video card. in the correct slot
9. Turn it on, Press F2 few times when INTEL logo is being displayed at the first second
If pressing few times doesn't show a *menu*, restart and try pressing DELETE instead.
10. In the BIOS (that menu), find "video configuration" option
and disable the INTEGRATED GRAPHICS (IGP).
11. Install the catalyst drivers from the CD.
12. Restart
13. See what happened then.

You must disable your onboard video in the BIOS ,

Boot up with new card and install latest Catalyst drivers from www.ati.com ,

this card will be much better then the onboard ,, but still a very weak card,, very pointless for todays gaming needs,,

Those lying jerks, they said it was a good card...Well, I'm sure its good enough for me. As long as it has T and L capabilities, its good. My onboard will run games like Halo, Star Wars Battlefront 2, and Call of Duty with next to minimal graphics settings and very seldom lock-ups or glitch-outs, so I'll be a happy camper once this thing works out and I find that I didn't waste $70. I cannot find anything titled BIOS. I have heard it referenced by pretty much everyone, but I still don't know what or where the heck it is.

That 9250 will totally destroy your integrated video.. so you'll get a very healthy upgrade in 3d performance, plus be able to play games your integrated didn't even support.

As far as BIOS goes- it's also called "Setup" on many OEM PC's (Dell, Gateway, HP..) boot-up logo screens. In those crucial 2-3 seconds where you see the PC's boot-up logo, look for what key to press. It's usually DEL, but can also be F1 or F2 or other keys.

Like, for example, when Gateway's fire-up, they'll quickly say:
Press F2 to enter SETUP
Press F10 to change boot sequence.

Others will simply say:
Press DEL to run SETUP

You only have a few seconds to do so. If you can share what make/model your computer is, we may be able to assist you with where the setting is and how to disable the integrated in your BIOS. You may not even be able to disable it in there but instead have to place a jumper on the motherboard inside the case. It's different with every PC.

sharkfood is correct, the usual button to enter SETUP (BIOS) is F1, F2 or DEL.
But i think since his mobo is intel, he still has a chance of getting a INTEL logo instead of OEM's logo. In this Intel logo (Silent boot), there's no words below showing :
Press F2 to change SETUP
or Press F10 to change BOOT order
or even Press DELETE to enter SETUP.
I wonder if this thing happen, he could be confused.

my last word is, try pressing those buttons twice or more when first your computer start. You'll see 2-coloured menu and options, if so, it's the BIOS or SETUP.

I think I'm almost there...downloading drivers now. I followed Nismo91's instructions by the letter EXCEPT in the bios menu, under Video Configuration, the only thing I saw was a thing where I could switch the video type from AGP to PCI, which is what I did. It didn't say anything about disabling anything in bios. But everything seems to be working as it should. Lets see what happens once the drivers are downloaded.....

I did it! ...............(3 hours of Halo and Call of Duty) ................ WOW this is incredible! Installing Doom 3 right now. Thank you guys so much!

tweakboy said:
Do a proper upgrade,, dat box will run in slow motion,

It seems like he is very satisfied, and is getting good gaming performance for his taste.

Hellspark said:
Do what now?

Enjoy your new graphics and have fun in your games :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back