An easy guide to AVG anti-spyware!

Rik

Here is a nice and easy to use guide on using AVG anti-spyware.

Once you have downloaded AVG you will be presented with this screen.
avg1.jpg

The first thing you should do is update it.

avg2.jpg

The next thing you need to do is ensure that the active protection is turned off.
avg3.jpg

Next, you need to do a complete scan.
avg4.jpg

Next, the recommended action should be set to quarantine automatically (as you can see mine isn't because I've had AVG for a while). You need to quarantine all nasties.
avg5.jpg

Next, you need to create a report as outlined to post along with your HJT log.
avg6.jpg

AVG anti-spyware is a very easy to use piece of software but a lot of people seem to have problems with it, hopefully this short guide will help with this issue.

question:

>ensure that the active protection is turned off.

Why do you make this recommendation? Personally, I've always left it Active.

The reason for turning off the active protection is it can interfere with any fix that`s being run with HJT. This also goes for other monitoring tools as well. Obviously, if you don`t have any issues or a need to have something fixed with HJT etc, then you should leave the protection turned on.

Taken from HERE.

Malware Removal: Temporarily Disable Real Time Monitoring Programs.

See HERE for instructions on how to disable some of the more common real time monitoring programmes. Thanks to CastleCops for the info.

Regards Howard :)

On the whole, AVG7.5 Anti-Malware is wonderful :)

For my laptop however, I've gone to disabling the Resident Shield feature.

First, I periodically scan manually with specific extensions disqualified
(why scan code that obviously can not be executed)

Most importantly, when the laptop boots, avgrssvc.exe (Resident Shield) consumes the system
with heavy i/o and CPU to such an extent that the laptop is virtually unusable (imo).
When operating at a hotspot, the laptop is on batteries and time is
precious, so the impact here is EXTREME!

I've posted a suggestion with GRISOFT to force the runtime priority to IDLE,
so as to allow the user to continue working -- it's an open item at the present.

I've always distained boot time processing for this kind of reason -- they frequently
are intrustive and redundant day after day after day.
(ps: The only schedules a have are updates and no scans).

Again AVG is a good product.

AVG antivirus

AVG is a free GOOD product but it's not the Resident Shield at boot time that I was referring to that cripples machines. A small executable called AVGAMSVR.exe is run at startup. I have no idea what it does? AVG runs fine without it(I can attest to that) I suspect it's a "game server".
I like and will continue to use AVG.

AVGAMSVR.EXE is definitely not a game server lol.

Summary : AVG Alert Manager

Description : Alert manager for AVG Anti-Virus System

Company : GRISOFT, s.r.o.
www.grisoft.com

Threat Level : Threat Level : 0
Category : APPLICATION

Processes : AVGAMSVR.EXE

Avgamsvr.exe

Howard: I yield, you're correct, I should have done the search before I posted.
I would like to say however that I'm running a lot faster without it and my AVG is working fine, I think. Thanks for the info and my regrets if I misdirected anyone.

Your computer will run faster without AVGAMSVR.EXE running. However, since it is AVG`s alert manager, if your system becomes infected, it won`t alert you to the fact. Therefore, you need to realise the risks of not having it running.

AVG Anti-spyware is very good. I have the full version and like it alot.

Great guide Rik..

Well done!

Regards Jase

Back