XP SP2, Server Service Keeps Stopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISHA8725

In the Services for the machine the Server service is set to Automatic but after a few minutes keeps stopping. Nothing shows in the event logs except that I have manually started it. I have searched everywhere for something informational. If you have never had to deal with something vaguely like this; then please don't respond. For the people who have, any ideas?

P.S.- The Server Service is what allows Files and Folders to be shared over the network. This is a serious workstation that handles credit card transactions and misc. for their practice management software. This computer under no circumstances can be restarted at any time. It's a hotel that runs 24/7.

Do you actually have any issues? Not able to access the shared files or something similar?

It is normal for Windows services to stop when they have nothing to do. They start up when needed (in theory anyway).

No it does not start back up on it's own. It needs to be continuously running. It is affecting the File and Folder sharing over their network for very important shares. Not to mention there are programs that need to run along the shares also. This is done by mapping the shared drive as a network drive (example M:\) So you go into the program and in the Directory as to where the data needs to be dropped into would be M:\FromCRS. When the Server Service mysteriously stops running the network shares are not accessible. I am having to stay connected using pcAnywhere and starting the service when it just randomly decides to stop. What a pain.

It seems to be staying running for right now. It's gone ten minutes without stopping. But I didn't monitor it all last night so I am unsure as to how often it does it. If it is supposed to start when being accessed again the logs don't show it. Meaning...it shows when it starts but I'm not sure if the Office Manager there on site is restarting it himself; cause I showed him how to do it.

In the properties of the service, you can define restart rules in case the service fails. Tell it to restart forever in case of failure.

Server Service Keeps Stopping

Hi,
I have the exact same problem on my XP SP2 machine. The Server Service Keeps Stopping and the event log indicates no error, only a stop command that has being send to stop the service. Each time I need to use the shared ressource, I have to uninstall the Microsoft Network Clients, Reboot and install it again without rebooting the next time. The service will stay on there for a while then eventually stops again. It is really a pain in the @ so I really appreciate if somebody have any permanent solution other then formatting and reinstalling ...
Thank you.

The Server Service depends upon the Computer Browser; which is
necessary for Domain Controlled networks.

As a XP/Home/SP2 user, mine is disabled AND file/print sharing still works fine.

Make sure Server Service logs on as Local System account

For recovery, mine has Take No Action for all failures :confused:

Because the Computer Browser service depends on the Server service, as soon as I started the Browser service the Server service started and stayed on. The File and Folder share option does not appear still but this is another issue, which I will be able to resolve eventually. Jobeard, thank you for the reply.

The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service, not vice versa. Computer Browser doesn't seem to work properly unless the Windows ICS/Firewall service is running (bug). TechRab is right, the server should never stop once these dependencies are up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back