Firefox 2 Tweak Guide

Julio Franco

Staff member
The release of Mozilla Firefox 2 further expands the capabilities and features of this highly regarded Internet browser, proving that just because you are popular doesn't mean you should slack off. Some of the new and updated features include: a visual refresh, integrated phishing protection, browser session resuming, live Titles and JavaScript 1.7 support, among others.

Regardless of how you feel about Mozilla Firefox, it's quite fair to say that much of the change and innovation in Internet browsers in recent years has happened because of it. This guide goes through numerous configuration tips and tweaks for Firefox 2, covering all aspects of the browser such as the options menu, preferences, CSS customization, interface, extensions and more.

Additionally, a TechSpot first - mini-videos are now sprinkled throughout the guide, better illustrating some of the content and options to be selected (all created using the excellent CamStudio).

https://www.techspot.com/guides/44-firefox2-tweak-guide/

Please leave your feedback here. Thanks!

First of all great guide, i knew most of the stuff in there but some stuff (especially the advanced section) was very well done. my only suggestion is that you include a section about google suggest, that and the google antiphisihing thing were two options in firefox2 that i did not like, to turn off suggest all you have to to is right click and uncheck show suggestions, kinda non-intuitive (at least for me anyways) since i scoured the preferences and never found it

There's also some reader feedback for this article at Neowin:
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=38178

I wanted to quote however the following comment and my response, as I knew this was coming sooner or later:
Excuse me. What innovation?
Majority of new and so called innovative features in Firefox are imported from Opera. Have a look at this.

My response:
That comment was to be expected, and I agree with you that Opera was first to a bunch of stuff like tab browsing, and mouse gestures, font scaling etc. However that is taking our introduction slightly out of context, as we referred to Internet browsers in general, meaning how Mozilla unstuck Microsoft and pushed for further innovation across the board... not only in terms of features, but implementation, execution (remember how Opera was not free without ads?) and gaining valuable market share. In that context, Firefox has had much more impact than Opera ever did....... for better or worse, because if you ask me I would have also loved Opera getting its worth of market share.

A good article, but nothing new to me.

I recommend (and use myself) the following extensions, in addition to those mentioned in the article:

Flashblock, should be self-evident

Prefbar, for enabling referrer or animations quickly, for example.

Web developer, for any website development things.

Back