Need help transferring files from old hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure anyone can take the time to explain this to me. I have an old HP computer that I have taken out the hard drive. (it has all my old music on it). I wanted to add the old drive (windows 98) to me new HP that has windows XP. I've been able to hook up the old drive and get onto it, but have been unsuccessful with converting the old files to my new computer. I am NEW at all this and am just quessing with all this. Please help. I do not have the disk to upgrade the windows 98

So you just want to have your hard drive from the 98 machine in your XP machine? Thats simple enough. You've already done all the hard stuff.

You need to look at the back of the hard drive in your XP machine (probably are going to have to take it out of the computer to do so) and make sure that the little plastic piece that is covering up/attached to 2 pins is set to the MA pins or Master. Then on your hard drive from the 98 machine, set it to SL or Slave. Put the drives back in your XP machine, connect them up (power and the big wide grey cable) and you should be all set.

You WILL NOT however be able to successfully run Windows98 on your XP machine and the programs off of that 98 drive, that is just something that cannot be done, not easily at least, and it would be FAR too much trouble to do.

What problems with files are you having specifically if you've already done what I outlined above.

Hope that helps. Also, read the thread in my signature if you get a chance, I think it will help you out in the future around here.

Hd

There could be two plastic pieces on the pins and there should be instructions on the hard drive on how to set the drive to slave (secondary hard drive) if there is not the hard drive makes website should explain how. I am not sure of any program to change the format of songs itunes maybe one [i know apple software is crap but it's worth a try]
regards

I am trying to get the music off from the old computer to put into the library of my new computer. Best Buy said theyd charge 99 bucks. I think i can do it myself.

which drive should be the slave (the old one?) and the new computer should be the master?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your old hard drive should be set as slave and the drive that has XP on it should be set as master.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Originally Posted by hazelgemini7 in a PM
Which drive should be the master and which should be the slave? SO you are telling me that I am not going to be able to convert the old files from the old computer to the new one?
Programs from the old computer won't be able to be ran on the newer computer, when programs are installed they often times write files into the Windows Registry which allow it to run properly, your newer computer won't have those registry entries, and even if it did 98 and XP are fundamentally different, so it wouldn't work anyway.

The files themselves though don't care what Operating System they came from, so your music and any documents should be just fine.

The drive that was originally in the XP system should be the Master in the XP system. The drive from the 98 machine should be the Slave.

Quick question -

Let's say the 98 drive is actually an XP drive, and the installation on it is corrupted. Would simply plugging it in still work? Also, what if the new drive is SATAII, and the old drive is, well, older than dirt?

edit: pretty sure the old drive is EIDE. ~600megs. I've never seen a drive so old.

foozy said:
Quick question -

Let's say the 98 drive is actually an XP drive, and the installation on it is corrupted. Would simply plugging it in still work? Also, what if the new drive is SATAII, and the old drive is, well, older than dirt?

edit: pretty sure the old drive is EIDE. ~600megs. I've never seen a drive so old.
If you plugged it in as I described you would be able to get to it, but you can't boot off of it.

If the old drive is IDE and the new is SATA then simply hooking it up on the ide channel with the cd drive which is likely IDE will work fine. Again paying attention to the jumpers.

I'm having the same problem as in the second question. Some file got corrupted on my 80gb IDE drive, and I am unable to boot from it. I purchased a 250gb SATA drive and installed windows and I am able to boot and work in it. When I power off and hook up the second (80gb IDE) drive, then boot up, it goes to a black screen after the windows Splash screen.

What can I do?

I know the SATA drives do away with the master/slave thing, but if I want to use both at the same time, will I have to set the IDE drive to slave? I believe it is set at master now.

No. You just have to set your bios to boot off the sata and not the ide. Do not change the IDE drive to slave if it is the only drive on the IDE channel.

Ok, well I did that and it works fine as long as the corrupted IDE drive isn't connected. When I connect it, it goes to a black screen after the splash screen still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back