Trying To Install Win XP Pro On A New HP dv9000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manta69

I'm at my wit's end with this one. This machine came with Vista installed on it. HP wouldn't give me any choices outside of three versions of vista, so I went with the best (Vista Ultimate) like virtually everything else when I had them build this notebook for me. Vista, of course, isn't compatible with most of the third party software and peripheral manufacturers yet, so I planned on putting XP pro in this machine at least until Vista matures a bit and becomes more widely accepted.

PROBLEM: Initially XP Setup didn't even see the hard drive. After locating the drivers for the ICH7M chipset and pushing f6 during the beginning of setup, everything seemed hunkey-dorey right up until setup went to examine the HDD (this is a new WD Scorpio 120 GB SATA drive, NOT attempting a dual-boot). At that time I get a message asking me to insert a Intel Matrix Storage Manager floppy into drive A: (I'm using a USB floppy drive during all of this, including the f6 function). Once again I located this driver and wrote it onto a floppy disc. Upon inserting this disc and hitting enter... nothing happens. No response, the FDD doesn't even spin up.

Has anyone successfully installed XP on an HP dv9000 machine that originally came with Vista? If so, how did you do this?

Go into the bios and make sure your boot options detect the SATA hard drive and are set correctly for this task. Boot from the CD and let the XP install partition and format the hard drive, by deleting the existing Vista partition...

Having Problems Installing XP Pro On A New HP dv9000

Thanks for your response! I checked the BIOS boot order and all is as it should be.

Any other suggestions are appreaciated greatly!

So now that you checked the boot order in the bios, continue with the XP install as I outlined earlier... Delete the Vista partition and create a new clean XP partition. The XP install CD will do all this. You just have to select the correct options. I can't say this any clearer

Hello Tmagic,
You and I have alot in common, we both know what we're doing when it comes to building machines (whether it's by having one custom built, or building one from scratch). I have built several including my desktop machine. What I'm attempting to do with this notebook isn't as cut and dry as it would seem.

I have installed a new hard drive instead of reformatting the one that came with it. The only way I could get XP Setup to see the hard drive was to load the chipset drivers (ICH7M) via f6 with a USB floppy drive. After setup loads and I push f8 to accept Microsoft's licensing agreement, setup then begins to analyze the hard drive *this occurs after setup prompts me to select the partition I want to install XP in*. At that time setup stops and asks me to insert a floppy with Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers. I do this, hit enter to proceed and setup doesn't respond... no FDD activity.

If anyone has any advice, or has successfully installed XP in a dv9000 that originally came with Vista, I'd like to hear from you!

Manta, I have almost the same exact problem as you, except I want a dual boot on a new Gateway laptop that has Vista. Have you made any headway recently?

anyway.
do this:
get a win-98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
start your machine with this boot disk (after telling bios to boot this first)
and choose "start with cd-rom support"
run fdisk
delete partition
create partition (optional)
restart pc
put xp cd in
navigate on the cd to i386 directory
look for program winnt.exe
run this program
it will start xp install process.

Hi there!!

I am an I.T Network Admin & I am trying to do the exact same thing with the HP DV2000... I have also downloaded the SATA driver for the HP website and when i boot with it, it will stop at the exact same spot as you..

I have even tried slipstreaming the drivers into my xpsp2 CD with no luck

i tried to use a usb thumbdrive & usb hdd and try to boot of it too...

no luck...

This is a stupid problem to have...

I'm thinking i just might stay with vista and be unhappy untill software beta version / vista compitable releases come out :(

if ANY1 can help it would be much appriciated

I've found a solution

Hello,
I recently purchased an HP Pavilion dv9260nr laptop and was having the same problems as you guys. I have a critical piece of software that only works with XP, but I didn't want to get rid of Vista. Now, if you're trying to install XP only then all you need to do is go into the bios setup, go to System Configuration, go down to SATA Native Support and set it to Disabled by using the F5/F6 keys. Then Hit F10 to Save and Exit, and choose yes. Now you can put your XP cd in and it will detect your hard drives. For those of you who would like to dual boot Vista and XP, it's a little more complicated, but not much. I will list the exact steps I took. Note: I only had the Recovery Disk for my laptop, not an individual Vista Ultimate cd. Therefore I had to have Vista installed first. Also, I have 2 seperate hard drives in my laptop and I placed each OS on individual drives, not a seperate partition on the same drive.
1. First, follow the above instructions to turn off SATA Native Support.
2. Restart the computer with the XP retail cd in. Choose to install XP on the unused drive (The one that Vista isn't on). After installation is complete the computer should boot into XP.
3. I had to go to HP's website and download a bunch of different drivers for XP. I actually had to pick a different model laptop as I didn't see drivers available for mine, but I picked a model that was very close and the drivers work fine. Anyway, download at least the Ethernet/Network adapter drivers so you'll be able to use the internet.
4. You need to install .Net Framework version 2.0 at least for the next step.
5. Go to http://www.vistabootpro.org/ and download VistaBootPro 3.1
6. Before you run the program, you need to copy some files to the drive you put XP on. First, make sure you have set your folder options to be able to see hidden files and unhide protected operating system files. Next, open Windows Explorer and go to the drive where Vista is installed. Next, copy the folder Boot and the file bootmgr and paste it to the root of your XP drive. You also need to copy the files boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM and ntldr and paste them to the root of your XP drive.
7. Now, install and run VistaBootPro and open the Bootloader tab. Select "Reinstall the Vista bootloader" and press Apply.
8. Go to the Manage OS Entries tab and select "Add new operating system entry" and make sure you select "Windows Legacy". Give the new entry a name (Windows XP, etc) and select the drive letter you have XP on then press Apply. You can also choose which entry you would like as the default the system will boot to.
9. Reboot and choose which OS you want to boot to. That's it!

This is my first post and I hope I didn't leave anything out or break a rule or something, lol. Hope this helps someone as I had a horrible time figuring out how to do this. Cheers.

Sorry for the delay; I went and ordered WinXP Pro x64, thinking that I might have an easier time loading a newer version of XP on the dv9000. Still had no luck, so I went into the BIOS (as previously mentioned by a couple of other members here) and disabled SATA Native Support. Once that was done, XP loaded with no problems and no need to f6 any drivers either. Downside: Once XP is loaded you WILL NOT be able to re-enable SATA Native Support! Doing so will trigger a Blue Screen of death saying that there was a hardware malfunction and Windows will shut down to prevent damage. No matter, I personally see no difference with SATA Native Support enabled of disabled.

I also found that XP x64 drivers for the hardware in the dv9000 are extremely hard to find, so ultimately I wound up reverting back to regular XP Pro (which still loaded just fine with SATA Native Support disabled) and loading all the hardware drivers which are readily available on HP's site. So far the dv9000 is running very well with XP Pro loaded with only two exceptions: the built-in web cam locks up the machine every time I try to activate it, and there is a PCI Device on the hardware list which is looking for a driver that I haven't been able to identify. I don't know what this device is because Windows lists it as an unkown device. ~Shrugs~ Oh well, hopefully eventually I'll be able to figure out what that device is and get the proper driver for it.

On a side note; if you still have problems getting the WLAN to work properly, make sure you installed the Intel PRO AGB LAN driver... it is NOT a Broadcom (at least, it isn't on my dv9000.

Thanks to everyone for your help and your time! Maybe someday soon I'll be able to put the Vista Hard Drive back in... I actually do like the interface it has, despite it being a rescources hog LOL!

Thanks

Thanks absolutezero7, I turned off the SATA Native Support and the xp installation found the Harddrives.

Hi guys!
I havnt tried this out yet.. but i will very soon

Many thanks to all of you for your and espec to Manta69 for having the same problem :p and ofcourse posting the thread

take care all

Thank you all for the advice, I have however noticed when turning off the BIOS option of SATA Native support that you cannot get sound on some XP machines. Specifically laptops, I have installed multiple versions of the sound drivers with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

This particular model was a Windows Vista home premium machine. Exact model is compaq presario c557cl, part of the c500 series. P/N number for easy searching on HP's website is gd203ua. :)

Dear guys iam a mobile phone service engineer,i face the same problem hard drive not detect in xp installation after i read all post with this forum iam very clear,and happy i join this forum to say thank all guys to solve his problem and help to solve the other peoples problem.
thank u again

Webcam

After i installed xp pro on my vista dv9276ea, the built in 1.3mp cam dosent work anymore. after i installed the drivers from the HP website, windows trys to install some other drivers and the webcam dosent work.

Anyone facing the same problem?

Hello!
I have dv9276ea and I installed Win XP Pro today. having done that I also installed Softwares & Drivers which are available on HP web site.

Now everthing is working apart from Wirless-Lan, Ethernet and network controller.

Please help me further. because as I see here that no one of you got this kind of problem.

Thanks

fortis321
If you do have the dv9276ea (which is tha same one I have) then all I did was install,

Intel PRO1000 Network Adapter Drive,
I
ntel PROWireless Drivers

and maybe Software and Drivers for HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth Wireless if your Bluetooth is also not working.

All can be found on the HP website, if you cant find them for the dv9276ea then just download the ones for the dv9093ea. My friend has the dv9093ea and I used his drivers for Xp pro.

How is your 1.3MP webcam , since I cant make mine work even after I install the correct drivers from the HP driver website?

Thank you soooo much Bachour!
everything is working fine now.
I'll tell you about webcam until I have found a solution.

thanks again :)

Well I already have installed the drivers I need from the provided link, its just that that webcam driver dosent work for me, although being released in end of march just recently.

If i am not mistaken the dv9000t is the intel based models and the dv9000z is the AMD based ones.

Why is it important for you to know that?

Just look at the hardware you have and download the corresponding drivers from the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back