BSODs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyKinyon

I need some help figuring out which device or driver is causing me to get BSODs.

I see reference to keymagic.sys in the attached debug log but I'm not sure if it's saying that is the offending file or not.

Would someone with more experience please have a look and advise? Thanks.

NOTE: I usually get these BSOD in DirectX games, especially when using Alt + TAB but on occassion it happens outside of them too. I have the latest video drivers and the problem was happening before also with the prior version. This install of XP is only a few weeks old. I have SP2 and all updates installed.

All the dumps crash at KeyMagic.sys. Do you know what this belongs to? Either look for an update or uninstall.

BugCheck 1000000A, {e2c58906, 1c, 0, 805021de}
Probably caused by : KeyMagic.sys ( KeyMagic+11d3 )
Image name: KeyMagic.sys Timestamp: Wed Oct 25 08:38:21 2006 (453EB1FD)

peterdiva said:
All the dumps crash at KeyMagic.sys. Do you know what this belongs to? Either look for an update or uninstall.

I googled this last night and I got one post and it was in a MAC help forums. And it was never addressed.

Anthony, you say when you are playing DX games the crashes occur the most. I wonder if it is one of your games that is causing your issues. Is it happening in all games, a few, etc?

I am running XP SP2 on a Mac Mini, 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo via Boot Camp method (not virtualization). Basically, this means I'm running Windows natively. This is almost for sure part of the keyboard driver they provide to give you full keyboard support in Windows. I get this problem most frequently with Star Wars: Galaxies when I use alt-tab to switch instances, but it does occur occassionally when doing other things or in other applications - though very rarely. It happens fairly regularly when using alt-tab in SWG to swap instances (to another instance of SWG). Having two accounts, I occassionally switch between them with both on at the same time.

I will say this, normally XP SP2 is relatively "rock solid" on this machine. Other games generally don't have the problem, but then again, this is the only one I do this with, so I can't really say conclusively that it is SWG's fault. It might be or might not be AFAIK.

peterdiva said:

Route44 said:
I googled this last night and I got one post and it was in a MAC help forums. And it was never addressed.

Anthony, you say when you are playing DX games the crashes occur the most. I wonder if it is one of your games that is causing your issues. Is it happening in all games, a few, etc?

As far as I know it only happens with SWG as far as which game it occurs with. I once got the problem to occur in Firefox but only once. Normally it only happens with SWG. It does occassionally happen when running only once instance of SWG (sometimes I run two because I have 2 accounts signed on at once). I'm not sure if it is the keyboard driver itself or SWG, or a DirectX issue.

My video card and sound card are both WHQL certified and up-to-date. I am good about keeping my drivers updated in general. 99.99% of apps seem to run fine without any problems or crashes, etc.

I am wondering if it is your keyboard drivers. I have read on Microsoft's website the Stop Error 0x0A can be due to conflicts between third party keyboards and XP, especially tasking quickly between netwroking.

I wonder if your Tab +Alt might be creating a quick task that the drivers cannot handle.

Route44 said:
I am wondering if it is your keyboard drivers. I have read on Microsoft's website the Stop Error 0x0A can be due to conflicts between third party keyboards and XP, especially tasking quickly between netwroking.

I wonder if your Tab +Alt might be creating a quick task that the drivers cannot handle.

This might be the case but again I'm not certain.

SWG is a MMORPG (main point, an online game) and maybe when I run two instances and switch between them it puts some kind of strain between the keyboard and networking. I don't know how this would happen but maybe it is possible. I intend to keep using the keyboard so maybe what I'll have to do is either just stick with one instance of the game or else disable the Apple provided keyboard driver and just run with the generic one that comes with XP. The only downside is, a few of my buttons won't work properly then (although most of them will). The only ones that won't are the numeric keypad ones and a few "special" buttons. Thanks for your help. I appreciate your time and ideas.

Someone else had a problem with the Boot Camp keyboard drivers. I've just checked, and it's the same version that you're running. See HERE for an alternative.

Thanks a lot for this, I am trying it out and I did disable the Apple keyboard drivers. :) I'll let you know if it helps or not.

peterdiva said:
Someone else had a problem with the Boot Camp keyboard drivers. I've just checked, and it's the same version that you're running. See HERE for an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back