Blue Screen Stop Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a problem that I can't seem to solve. I would really appreciate if anyone could help.

The System: Windows XP Home Edition (2002) Service Pack 2 on a Dell Insprion 9400. Genuine Intel CPU, T2400 at 1.83ghz, 1GB RAM (2 Sticks)

The Problem: A couple days ago, started getting blue screen errors randomly, got it once when I was running a regular maintenance adaware scan. After I re-booted, the computer gets the blue screen stop error on every startup. Now I can only run in Safe Mode (with networking). I received this message, but nothing else (no driver names or other fault messages):

STOP: 0x0000008e (0x00000005, 0x8586931F, 0xF66AE98C, 0x00000000)

I did not change anything, install any hardware or anything of that sort. I just started getting the messages. I've looked in the RAM problem, I removed a stick of RAM at a time, and restarted, but no help. I've run quite a few malware, spyware, and rootkit scans, but no help there. Is this a virus or an actual hardware problem? I can give you HJT logfiles if you'd like.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

It's hard to say if its software or hardware since you say you haven't installed anything lately.

Have you tried system restore? I know this sounds like a mute point but something could have installed that you aren't aware of.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Take a look at this thread HERE and see if it helps you to diagnose the culprit.

If it doesn`t, attach 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps to your next reply.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I started to go through Howards diagnosis options, and I ran into a problem.

I went through a ramtest with no errors. Once I reset my page file and tried to defrag my hardrive I received another blue screen. I was running in safe mode and this time I got this:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Stop: 0x000000A(0x00000034,0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x806FFA16)

Still can't seem to find where the problem is. I even pulled out each stick of RAM individually and rebooted, still got original 0000008e message. Should I post my minidumps?

Thanks.

Here were the only 3 minidumps in the Minidump folder. Let me know if these are the correct ones. Thanks for all your help.

All three of your Minidumps point to one thing: Memory Corruption.

You need to run MemTest on each of your sticks of RAM for 10 passes to determine which one or both are corrupted. Usually corruption will show before the 10th pass.

All three of your minidumps crash with memory corruption and a FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE.

MODULE_NAME: memory_corruption

IMAGE_NAME: memory_corruption

FOLLOWUP_NAME: memory_corruption

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

MEMORY_CORRUPTOR: LARGE

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE

BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE

Followup: memory_corruption

This is caused by faulty or incompatible ram/faulty psu/faulty mobo/faulty graphics card with, an outside chance of a faulty cpu.

You will need to diagnose which hardware is the culprit.

I suggest you start by trying a different brand of ram and working from there.

Regards Howard :)

Thank you guys very much.

One more problem though. I've tried to download that particular Memtest86 and all I get is Image files one I extract it. Am I donwloading the wrong one, or what program do I use to open the files? Thanks.

Once you`ve unzipped the Memtest86+ file, you need to burn the resulting file to cd as an image. Your burning software will tell you how to burn an image file.

See HERE for instructions for using Memtest86+

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back