CPU Temp sensor corruption, is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aolish

Alright so I got a rather strange topic that has been in my head the last couple of years, I just never posted or said anything about this on a forum or to someone else. I just thought I'd finally share it, and this place seems to be a great place to find a possible answer to a problem I had with my old system that I was never able to solve. :)

Is it possible to actually corrupt a temp sensor reading when using different kinds of temp reading software? :confused: I know its an odd question. I tried doing a google search on this awhile back and i think i found only one thread on another forum where a person actually corrupted his readings.

Lemme explain... I had my old system of xp2000+ on an A7V333. I've had that system for 5+ yrs. During that time I noticed my temps go slowly higher and higher. Despite changing the heatsink with about 7 different kinds of heatsinks and reapplying with many different kinds of thermal materials including AS3, 4 as well as other AS products (I even used thermal padding that came with the HSFs) every single re-installation of the HSFs did nothing to the temp readings. It always read 60C no matter what I did. I just got so fed up I gave up in trying to lower the temps. Whats pretty funny is that during the entire time I was using my xp2000+ system I had no problems during those years. Surely if those readings were true I would of had problems. A 60C temp reading isn't good if it was real, is it? Thats not even gaming or during the SUMMMER! Yet I had no problems. I even gamed when my system was near 80C one time during the summer with no problems. So I think I had a corrupted temp reading on the A7V333. Because in the beginning when I first had it the temps were about 20C lower, the temps started to gradually rise slowly during the years as I started to use a ridiculous amount of temp reading software at the time I first had my system, because I was such a nut in terms of cpu temps. :giddy: there were times I accidentally used 2 temp readings by mistake and it would throw the temp readings off so much it would warn me of dangerous readings, each temp reader telling me my cpu temps were at unrealistic levels. And my voltage and fans were running at 0, one time it read my fans running at 5 digits. :D

Now I know what your gonna say, I hear it all the time. "Maybe you installed in the HSFs improperly or to much paste/not enough paste" etc etc etc. I've heard it all! :suspiciou I've done this so many times, I'm sure I installed in the HSs 100% fine! Heck my temp readings for my new rig is at average 35C on my first try when I assembled my new system together. How can I get the readings on my new system fine with 1 shot while my older system I couldn't fix for years. I don't know, tell me what you guys think. :knock:

Since those sensors are probably the type that change electrical conductivity with heat to ascertain a 'temperature', it is a high probability that many do indeed fail over a period of time.

It would not surprise me in the least.

:)

Goldilocks and the 3 HDDs.....

I have a box with 3 brand new HDDs. The box feel asleep. When it woke up I took it's temperature. HDD#1 Seagate "Barracuda" 80GB sata 2 =25C HDD#2 = WD2500 (250GB) SATA 2 = 25C, HDD#3 WD2500 (250GB) SATA 2 = 40C!!
Yo, it was on standby for God's sake! So you see the temp readings can be a fairy tale.

If you wanna know for sure get/borrow a laser temp gun and check the cpu temp that way. Temp sensors can fail over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back