Services.exe using 50% of CPU, you're my last hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkhuu

Hello to all of you, I consider myself fortunate to have found such a helpful website, since I am at my wits end with my computer problems. My services.exe is utilising 50% of the CPU all the time. On top of this, Windows takes a very long time to start up. This is causing many performance problems, and I don't want to format unless absolutely necessary due to important files I have not been able to back up. I followed all the steps in your thread on preliminary removal of malicious software and viruses, yet the problem persists. Attached are all the necessary Log Files, my AVG anti-root scan didn't show anything. I thank you for taking the time to assist me, and greatly appreciate any help.

u shud do a disk cleanup remove any uneccesary files in addition also defragment your hard drive and for your start problem go to start > run > msconfig then the start up tab and un tick things that you don't need this would be mostly everything except your virus scanner modules etc... or any other important files. removing messenger from start up and also ctfmon.exe
in addition to improve your speed you can also go to start run> services.msc and set things such as digital camera etc... to manual i know programs such a sony, cyberlink, adobe have a lot of uneccesary services which can be started manually when needed.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware quarantine.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

tscupgrd.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [tscuninstall] %systemroot%\system32\tscupgrd.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

%systemroot%\system32\tscupgrd.exe

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know how your system is running.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of tkhuu only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hello again Howard. I followed all of your steps, but unfortunately, there has been no change to performance. Services.exe still runs at 50%. Here is the new hijacklog as requested. Thank you once more

Hi,

Your log looks clean.
However just to be sure your system is clean, could you please post a ComboFix log too. You can download the tool from my signature.
Simply extract it to desktop and run. Do not move the mouse or touch the keyboard during the scan as it might screw up the scan and freeze your system.

May I also suggest that you read this thread here on how to speed up your system when you are done with the above and have posted your ComboFix log as an attachment here.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

This thread is for the use of tkhuu only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

First, see the Event Log for any error messages about any services not able to start or that have crashed.

Right click My Computer, Manage. Go to services. Sort the list by the "status" column.
Look for any "Automatic" services that are not running.

Thank you both for your timely reply. Attached is my combo fix log. I have also checked the error log as the above poster suggested, and there are two services that are set to automatic that are not running. They are as follows:

Background Intelligent Transfer

NVIDIA Driver Helper Service

Attemps to start either results in a failure. Thank you again for your helpn and please tell me any other way I can assist.

P.S I have also followed all steps in the "Speed up for PC" thread with no change in performance. It is specifically the Services.exe that is utilising 50% of the CPU all the time, even after I've stopped all non-essential services from running.

It seems you forgot to attach your Combofix log as requested by momok.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of tkhuu only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

What is that "a failure"? Maybe give the relevant Event Log entries?

You can also try disabling both of these services (and rebooting) - they are not critical. BITS is required for Windows Updates though..

The failures say that the process cannot be started when I attempt to start them manually. I shall try disabling them and will post the results. Sorry about the log, here it is!! Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate all of this

Attachments

• combofix.txt
    12.4 KB · Views: 7
Your Combofix log appears to be clean.

Go to http://update.microsoft.com and when the page loads click Change Settings on the left. Scroll down to the bottom. Put a checkmark in the box next to "Disable Microsoft Update software and let me use Windows Update only " and click Apply changes now. Close the window and restart your computer and let me know if you are still having the cpu utilization problem.

Just a final check from me.

Download the Autoruns programme from HERE. When the programme runs, click options and make sure the "Hide Microsoft Entries" is ticked. Click the file menu and select refresh. Click the save icon and save the Autoruns log to wherever you want.

Attach the Autoruns log here.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

RegCure<This is rogue programme that puts adware on your system.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\DOCUME~1\TUANKH~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\idrmkl.sys
C:\Program Files\RegCure<Delete the entire folder.

Reboot into normal mode.

I want you to have this file checked out over at Jotti`s.

Please visit this link http://virusscan.jotti.org/
* Click the Browse... button
* Navigate to the following file c:\program files\gamespot\gdm_trayapp.exe
* Click Open
* Please let me know the results.

Rehide your protected OS files.

I have done as you requested, with no change, services.exe still runs at 50%. I scanned the file that you highlighted, and the scans showed nothing suspicious. Any other suggestions? Could this perhaps be hardware related?

I think it`s far more likely to be a software problem rather than a hardware problem.

The only suggestion I have left, other than a reformat, is to go and read this thread HERE and see if it helps.

Alright, I'll read over the thread and if anything I'll format, thank you very much for all of your assistance, it is very greatly appreciated!

Had same problem

Hi there, i was busy searching for a way to solve the exact same problem you have of the services taking up all the CPU, and i came across this blog. i read all there is and still found the same problem occoring for my pc too.
i had rebooted numerous times and used several different virus and spyware scanners which all came up with nothing.

bottom line is though, I managed to get rid of the problem in a stupidly simple way. the day before i plugged a bluetooth reciver into my computer and created a connection with it to my phone. as soon as i took out the blue tooth reciver services.exe cpu takup shot down back to 0 and stays at around 0-5. so yeah. try taking out any devices that you have installed lately on your computer.

haha so simple i overlooked it for days:)

Goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back