Page_Fault_In_nonpaged_Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain555

So there are many flavor to this problem from what I can gathered here. I've read many of these type of problem but haven't found any that might help me. Mostly because I can't deinstall any drivers because there are no driver installed yet.

So here's my story. I have a brand new Mobo (Asus P5VDC-MX), a P4 2.93 Mhz Skt 775, and 1 memory stick of 1 Gig DDR2 533 Mhz. A brand new, run of the mill DVD-RW (LG) and also a new run of the mill Seagate 160 Gig SATA. Everything is on the Mobo (LAN, VGA, etc ...). Power Supply is also new, and all the voltage check ok on the tester. And I have the latest bios.

I'm trying to install Windows XP. It goes thru the preliminary of the install, i.e. loading in memory all the file that he needs, then I get the first screen where I hit Enter to start the install and next you suppose to get the page of the EULA where you hit F8 to accept, well, that page shows up very briefly and then I get my BSOD with Page Fault.

In that page it recommend to disabled the cached this and/or the shadow that but I can find any type of option in the bios that look anything remotely like that.

As usual the tech at Asus are completely useless.

Do you think I have a bad Mobo ? Thanks for any insight you might have on this.

More likely memory stick is the problem. Make yourself a memtest86 boot disk (floppy or cd) and test it.

Good stuff.

I tested the memory but in another box, and it's testing fine. That's why I suspect the motherboard.

Asus motherboards are very picky about what RAM you use. That is why Tedster directed you to the RAM Guide in the forums. Go to Asus' website, find your motherboard, and see the memory they recommend.

Also, in your BIOS is your SATA drive the first bootable? To load a clean install of XP your SATA must be first bootable.

I swap everything and I was still having the same problem. The last thing I swap was the hard drive, that was it. I took the drive and hook it up to another PC with a USB enclosure, the minute I turn the switch on, the PC came down. Couldn't believe it. Put a new drive in the new machine, it's purring like a kitten.

The drive is already on it's way to Seagate.

Drive cache IS memory - usually the last choice for that message BUT can be.

Glad you sorted out the problem.

You're absolutely right. Like you said, it's just not the first thing that come to mind when you have that kind of problem. Especially with a brand new drive. This is one to save for the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back