Tom Tom

LinkedKube

sorry I just had to post this, was way too funny not to.

Was in the car with my friend today and here's the dialog

Tom Tom: Where are we going today
Goddy: Go to hell Tom Tom
Tom Tom: Unrecognized destination sir
Goddy: We can start by driving in the detroit river
Tom Tom: Make the next right then go straight

Me: RotfBBQ

haha, the wonders of modern technology ;)

we have a navman and one time we were in a car park, but it thought we were in the middle of nowhere and kept spinning round telling us to find the nearest road on the screen but it kept saying "turn left, turn left"

then when we got to the junction to get back onto the road it said "turn left, turn left, turn left" in quick succession, i think it was very eager for us to turn left.

i don't think that AI is ever going to be as good as real intelligence so we just have to put up (or "make use of") with what we have now ;)

Define "good". That AI can do maths better than a million Chinese school kids.. Yet a demented ant is probably better at finding its way around the world.. :p

well the maths is calculations which would be done in binary so personally i wouldn't put that under AI, otherwise a calculator would have AI

you're not wrong about the ant though ;)

Daveskater said:
i don't think that AI is ever going to be as good as real intelligence so we just have to put up (or "make use of") with what we have now ;)
Yes because AI is artificial intelligence, not real.
There's nothing like the real thing eh?

Well i'm not entirely convinced of that! Atleast AI wouldnt switch a psu to 110volts in a 240volts area then ask "what do you think is wrong?". :D

That did actually happen in a thread on TS. When I pointed out that it will have done plenty of damage and wasnt the smartest thing to do by a long way the original poster altered his first post to disguise what he had done.

that is a good point, Rik ;) i even remember that thread :D i think it was called "Smoke!"?

if not then the one with that title was about somebody who fiddled with their CMOS battery or something and smoke came out

either way, i remember them saying (the psu explodey person) that it went bang and smelt funny

He was looking at a pc for a friend if memory serves and i replied along the lines of "I hope she is a good friend because you probably owe her a new pc". Or something very close to that.:D

It was a major candidate for "Stupid things people do to their pc's" for sure lol.

o my god you wont belive me but well i jest laughed sooo hard that i started crying!!!!!!!!!! o man i seriusley cried.

A really good book to read is the Emperor's New Mind by Roger Penrose link, it's a journey through the world of Set theory and Turning machines and infinite number theory, physics (just to bring the reader up to speed) and then the last several chapters discuss the limitations of AI based on our theoretical concepts of mathematical modelling, computational theory and even quantum mechanics.

It's a mammoth read and not recommended for the light of head.
Education: "That which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge."
Mark Twain

Oh, there's a much better example of man, his machine and stupidity (and this time the stupidity was not on the machine)

Now granted this happened back in December of 1998 when nav systems were pretty new and novel... but there's a true case of a German couple who followed their nav system's directions and drove right into the Pottsdam River!

BBC World Service: Satellite navigation system guides driver into river

If you hunt it down, there are longer articles around on the incident as well.

Yes, i think i've heard of this incident of a man who drove into a river.
I think the satelite navigation needed an update.

Ummm...Eh....Well......Er....

hamas123 said:
Yes because AI is artificial intelligence, not real.

At this point in the discussion could somebody explain what "real intelligence" is.

captaincranky said:
At this point in the discussion could somebody explain what "real intelligence" is.
Well, um, err, yeh no, wait it think so. Real intelligence is my intelligence ;).Technoligy don't have a brain ;)

The program can only be as smart as the person who programs it :)

Also electronic "brans" don't work in the same way ours do (scientists still don't understand it completely) so AI will never be the same as real, proper, human intelligence :D

hamas123 said:

Agreed ;)

LookinAround said:
Oh, there's a much better example of man, his machine and stupidity (and this time the stupidity was not on the machine)

Now granted this happened back in December of 1998 when nav systems were pretty new and novel... but there's a true case of a German couple who followed their nav system's directions and drove right into the Pottsdam River!

BBC World Service: Satellite navigation system guides driver into river

If you hunt it down, there are longer articles around on the incident as well.

There was an episode of The Office (US) where Micheal Scott drove into a pond or lake because of GPS instructions. I tried to find a youtube clip, or break, or metacafe, and was unable to. It happened this season though.

Real intelligence must begin with memory and lots of it. From there associations are formed, such as: When my finger is inserted into fire it hurts. Result: a new memory pathway is formed to store the associations, fire, finger and pain.

This is why lower level animals like fruitflies and moths and such are pretty stupid, they have no active memory (or very little), so every few minutes, maybe even seconds..life is brand spankin new to them all over again! "Oh look at the pretty light!" poof.

Back