Registry_ERROR BSOD Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash19

I had a power cut recently while on my PC and since then I haven't been able to log into Windows XP (SP2) in either safe mode nor any of the other F8 options. My computer is a Dell Dimension 5100, came pre-loaded with XP so I don't have the original disc however I do have a Dell recovery CD which I think pretty much works the same way. I also have a tuneup 2006 backup version on the hard disk which I can log into as far as it brings up the splash screen, loads for a moment or to but then gives me the same BSOD. I tried repairing it with the console on the recovery disk but as soon as I hit enter when it asks me to choose which windows installation I want to repair, it comes up again. I've tried everything in my knowledge arsenal to no avail. The error is:

REGISTRY_ERROR

blah blah try safe mode blah blah

STOP 0x00000051 (0x00000003, 0x00000001, 0x0003000 0xE257d030)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OK how important is all the data (pics; songs; docs) on your computer ?

Also please write from cursor allign left, and in black for easier viewing

Well im quite sure that there isnt anything irreplaceable, though I might have to hunt down some old product keys and what not but my main concern is getting the PC up and running again ASAP. Of course if i can keep my files relatively easily then great.

I encountered another problem I hadn't foreseen - the old laptop I'm on can't write to CD's and so I saved that Ultimate CD to flash, but my Dell wont boot from the flash stick :( I guess I'll just have to wait till I can find a computer to transfer the Ultimate CD files over to a disc. Thanks for the help.

I know. Considering the above problems, if I said my I don't mind losing my data would there be any other way to workaround? I can't conceive any possibility but still worth asking.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 5100, came pre-loaded with XP so I don't have the original disc however I do have a Dell recovery CD

Use the Dell recovery CD
Or contact Dell on getting a new recovery CD for your computer

If the CD drive itself is faulty, you may be able to plug in a external USB CD/DVD drive, and change bios to 1st boot device USB. assuming that option exists.

The thing is when I boot the recovery CD it asks me what windows installation i want to log onto, so i type 1 which corresponds to my hard drive installation. As i hit enter it takes me to the bsod. I tried disabling the drive in bios and then booted the cd, it worked and i ran chkdsk. It told me the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable errors. Does it mean my hard drive is kaput, or is it saying this because i disabled the drive in bios?

You are using the Repair option (then pressing 1 and then enter, so forth..)

Instead of this try - removing(deleting the partition) fully and then loading Windows fresh.
(warning: all data/programs/windows files will be lost)

Then see if Windows installs

Remember it's not Repair; it's not format; it's removing all partitions fully

The only options im given at the interface is to either install windows or to repair it. Both eventually take me to the same Blue screen.

Obviously we have fully confirmed hardware issue.

Start by removing all attached external devices, except Keyboard, Power and Monitor

You may need to reseat the internal Ram, or possible remove one card at a time.

You may also have a misconfigured hard drive, that is, the switch on the back should be set for cable select (try Master too)

You may also need to reset your bios fully (refer to the manual) but it's usually a jumper near the cmos battery on the motherboard.

Please try these suggestions

Not sure if this thread now needs to bump to Hardware or not (admins will work that out)

Hold on! Yes! Its asking me to either set up windows xp on the selected partition, create a partition, or delete the selected partition - what do i do? It hasnt shown this screen before.

I have great news to bestow upon you - I fixed it! I just finished reinstalling the drivers from a CD I had created (luckily) a while back and I am now logged in from my computer. A big thanks to Kimsland in particular, for all the help.

At last one solved ;)

Another partition error blown away. For good I hope.

Well done in having the drivers available too.

Now it's just all those MS security updates
Office
Adobe
On and on ...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back