New computer has power but won't start (CPU fan isn't spinning either)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going crazy...please help.

I built my new computer tonight, however it won't start. There is power to the motherboard, because I can hear and see the fans when I turn it on, however the CPU fan doesn't move. It initially spins a rotation or two and that is it. It (fan on CPU) does the same thing when I power it off, just a initial spin but doesn't move. Any ideas...I would be so grateful. Here are my system specs (all bought from Newegg)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Rosewill RP550-2 ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply
4stick of - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
APEVIA X-JUPITER-JR G-Type X-JPJGT-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Thanks so much!

recheck

Check and recheck you wiring for everything. There is a little switich and your PSU make sue that is where it was out of the box. Reinstall ram, try it with 2 gigs and jusy check everything. It is your wiring and last build I did we had the cords from front power button wrong, make sure those are correct, gl. make sure you did nor bend a pin when you installed prosessor.

I wouldn't worry about it yet if that's your only "problem." I have a Gigabyte motherboard (see my system specs) and the CPU fan twitches a bit at first until the CPU warms up a little then it goes normally.

Try booting with your Mobo, One ram stick and GFX. No HDD or extra ram or optical drives. BARE MINIMUIM.

If it boots, keep adding components to determine if one is broken.

If it doesnt work, you've narrowed it to only 4 components, not 10 or so.

How long can without the Heatsink fan

mailpup said:
I wouldn't worry about it yet if that's your only "problem." I have a Gigabyte motherboard (see my system specs) and the CPU fan twitches a bit at first until the CPU warms up a little then it goes normally.

I got a little freaked out when the heatsink fan wasn't spinning. How long can I leave it on while testing without worrying about damaging the CPU?

Another REALLY stupid question, on the connection cords from the case, there is no +/- listed on them, typically white is - (negative) right? There is a arrow on the plastic base next to the colored (non-white) wire on all of the two color wires (e.g orange/white) I'm assuming that is the positive wire.

I think the board posted OK, because when I pull the graphics card I hear a beeping.

I appreciate everyones responses, it's been a few years since I built a computer. And even at that, I'm a total Newb.

If the fan doesn't start after about 15-20 seconds or so, I'd be concerned. In the meantime, the heatsink itself is still absorbing CPU heat so it's not like there is no CPU cooling going on.

Yes, with the paired colored/white wires, the negative/ground is the white wire. With the "on" and reset switch it doesn't make any difference which is which but for the LEDs it does.

there are 2 things that come to mind of quick spin/stop and no post
that is you missed a cpu connection (need cpu power) this can be bad power rail on PSU
the cpu is dead

I've got the exact same problem, and I called Gigabyte and they told me that my PSU was bad. So I went to the store and bought a 400w power supply and I have the same problem. The case fans turn on, the phase lights on the mobo turn on, but the CPU fan doesn't turn on and it won't post. I went looking in other forums and I found this: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/263404.aspx and http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/279089/ShowThread.aspx#279089 Anybody know where I can find such a power supply unit?

--
mobo: GA-EP35-DS3P(rev. 2.1)
GE force9600 GT
Intel core2 duo E6850
Kingston DDRII
Power Supply : Enermax Liberty 500W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back