One 8800 GT or two 8600 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekaonija

Moderators Note:
This thread eventually lead to a PSU debate which contains valuable discussion that would be difficult to find if you were just doing a forum search, so in an effort to make that information more avaiable I've removed most of that discussion from this thread and have it contained in Debate on PSU requirements of nvidia 8800 GT/GTS cards.

-SNGX1275

Well my friend has told me he will be getting a new computer sometime soon so he thought that the idea of getting 2x 8600 GT in SLi would be the best preforming for under 300$ I told him that 1, 8800 GT would blow that away and It costs about the same or even less than the 2x 8600.

He seems pretty keen on wanting the 2x 8600 GT's no matter what I tell him, from things like the 8800 will melt my computer or how much more expensive it is or how 2x 8600's in SLi will get better performance.

Can anyone correct me if I'm wrong about this, or would someone care to shed some insight on this. I do look at computers a lot and love to build them and look at all the new stuff coming out and there specs and all that so I'm not really a noobie, I have been looking at each of those cards specifications and the 8800 seems like it would be much faster but I'm not very familiar with SLi so I'm not sure how much It would effect the performance. I don't want him to get ripped off because either way he will be paying 300$ for a video card(s).

BTW he has about 800$ max for this new computer, I chose all this stuff out for him in the picture below, YES I KNOW INTEL IS "BETTER" even though its not always true... But I chose AMD because It is much cheaper and still preforms really good. You might be able to change my mind though If you can get an E6000+ Intel processor running at 2.5 GHZ without over clocking for the same price range as AMD.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Config.JPG
    Config.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 11
One better card is usually better than 2 lesser cards.
One 8800GT would absolutely destroy two 8600GT's and be a huge mistake.

Look for the Corsair XMS2 2GB kit instead. It's of superb quality and way cheaper than the Ballistix kit you've posted about. Also, regarding the mobo and CPU choice, a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L along with an E4500 will cost about the same but will deliver on par performance, besides giving the option of upgrading to a Penryn chip later. Lastly, you're spending too much on the case. Get a cheaper CoolerMaster Cavalier one instead and save some cash.

Yeah thanks, hes not really going to be buying from newegg anyway but I was just posting an idea of what the hardware will be. For the memory there is 2 GB I can get for about 40$ at the place hes buying from. pccyber.com is there website, not all the stuff they have in store is listed on there though. As for the case thats the one he wanted and it still fits the budget for the specs he wants, but I'll see what else they have. Intel is still a maybe, he wants AMD though because he likes the little guy.

two 8600s will get better performance at super high resolution, but if your not planning on running things in the 2400 x1800 range, go for the 8800 gt.
also, i'd recommend getting a 6-700W powersupply. i'm not an AMD expert but from what i've heard they use more power and modern vid cards need quite a bit too.
lastly, are you getting a sound card? in my experience having a dedicated sound card (turtle beach montego is nice) makes for better sound

Probably not going to get a sound card right away.
I think if the price is still in range I might go for a higher wattage but if not I can always return it if I doesn't work, Pccyber is only a few blocks from my house. I'm going with him tomorrow's to see what they have and how much its going to cost.

Whoops, sorry I logged on to my brothers account when signing in, damn you fire fox with your convenient account saving! Lol

alisbin said:
two 8600s will get better performance at super high resolution, but if your not planning on running things in the 2400 x1800 range, go for the 8800 gt.
also, i'd recommend getting a 6-700W powersupply. i'm not an AMD expert but from what i've heard they use more power and modern vid cards need quite a bit too.
lastly, are you getting a sound card? in my experience having a dedicated sound card (turtle beach montego is nice) makes for better sound
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130325
An 8800GTS 512 for $10 more than the SC GT I would beg to differ. Just my opinion though, it's not my $ (2 x 8600GT Sli vs 8800GTS 512 that is).

gts 512 would be better sure, but if whif goes that direction he DEFFINATELY needs a really good 700w+ power supply, 8800GTS cards eat power like cheap candy.
also make sure that the new case will be able to fit that monster...
another thing, 8800 GTs arent hard to OC, so you might be able to get a non OCed GT for $50 or so less and OC it yourself if you choose (the $50 can mean more ram :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back