Problems with new video card in emachines T6520

Status
Not open for further replies.

dchatell

I am new to pc building and upgrading and have hit a snafu. I have a emachines T6520. The only thing in it that is original is the motherboard/cpu and the cd drives. i wanted to upgrade from my onboard video to something better to get the load of my mobo. I am trying to install a saphire ATI Raedon HD3450. Notthing to powerful because i am not a super gamer. When i install the card it makes my computer slower than a old man getting out of a bath tub. it takes almost a half an hour for my pc to fully load. I have 2 gb of ram and prior to upgrading the card installed a 550w psu. I disabled the onboard graphics and configed the BIOS how emachine support told me to. still the pc is so slow it is useless. when i have the card in with the monitor pluged in to it, my resolutions is very low so i know it is not taking it. i installed the ATI drivers prior slotting the card. my mother board is a MS-7145 RS480 754P K8 IXP400. Please help, got my new video card in a box on a shelf doing nothing.

Usually it's a sign of the drivers not installed, but you said that you did this already.

I haven't checked if that card suits your computer, ie multiplier (8X ?)
Other than that DOA Video card

No they both are 16X PCI-E, actually the video card should automatically select

So I say faulty card (or PCI-E slot) or mounting (you need to press hard (but not too hard!)

This machine makes an excellent bargain for someone looking for a lot of CPU horsepower without spending a large amount of money. The system has a capable ATI Xpress 200 built in graphics processor which is fine for casual game playing. The hard drive is a low end Western Digital with only 2mb of buffer. Fine for day to day use, but definitely a bottleneck. With an available PCI Express 16x slot, the machine offers good upgradeability. The AMD64 3400 has plenty of power to spare.
--------------
edit:

CPU may differ

ATI Radeon® Xpress 200 (PCI-Express®) 128MB DDR shared video memory.

http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=T-Series&model=T6520

Probably worthwhile looking in Bios to ensure that the NEW card is set up correctly - others here may have more knowledge about shared memory settings. Also, slot voltage may be worth checking.

edit: I mention this becasue I have read that boards can have graphic aperture size settings even for PCI Ex cards and you would have started with such a setting for your onboard at 128 probably.

Well done, except Vsta 32 or 64 (probably 64bit) I'm not taliking about the machine. ---------edit--Now updated, thankyou
The Windows vesion can be either.

Anyway, during the course of getting your specs, "CCT" has provided a good suggestion.

Restart you computer.
You should notice a key sequence message like hit DEL or F2 (or something else) to enter Setup (or BIOS or Firmware).

Do that, and locate where it says 128Meg Video, and change it to 512Meg (ie your new card) PCI-Express
Save and exit
Turn off
Re-mount your card (and correct drivers.)

No go. Uninstalled the onboard card drivers. restarted. went in to BIOS (phoenix-award) chanded video controled to PCIEx. There was no feild to change the video to 512MB. installed card. booted computer and loaded the window, this took almost 4 hours cause the computer is so slow. when it finished i restarted the computer. computer was still slower than anyhting that can be imagined. Removed card and set everything back to the way it was. ??????????????? I have no idea. What are the chances that the card is bad. I can understand that the driver are not working but why would it make my computer slow slow? If you have any ideas please help.

The eMachines motherboard is famous for multiple failures... I would place my mistrust in the board, rather than the video graphics card.
Consider this good news. It gets you out from under the eMachines early so you can buy something more worthwhile.

I go along with raybay too

Obviously card or mobo
The card is good
The mobo is cheap

Go for faulty mobo

I really appreciate the time you guys put in helping me out. I was kinda of pondering on upgrading the mobo. What would you guys recommend and what specs do i have to look at to see if it compatable with my other components. I would want to upgrade to something bada**. could you guys point me in the right direction of a good tutorial on how to upgrade mobos or a buyers guide.

First, you need to understand that you will probably also need to upgrade the power supply, and that the restore or recovery disks will only work on the eMachines motherboard.
So be sure to know what costs are involved in obtaining an operating system and a decent power supply, as well as the motherboard.
Then good places to learn about boards are on sites such as this... where motherboard reviews are placed by Julio from time to time, and www.tomshardware.com, www.anandtech.com, and many other such locations.
Some of the more expensive, advanced motherboards are so persnickety about memory choices and other such things, that I would avoid them unless you are an avid gamer.

Maybe a little late, but...

I have been through the EXACT same circumstances within the past few days and have found a solution, however it's not a very pleasing one if you like having Vista.

With my system, I was trying to install a Radeon HD 3650, like a step up from the 3400 series mentioned before, and when running in Vista my machine did the same slow turtle pace act as was mentioned before.

This was in a W3410 series Emachine, one that has the exact same motherboard as the T6520 (I would know since I've acquired both systems by now). My W3410 motherboard has been freezing at random, so I've switched it out for the T6520 one, and under Vista, again it was very slow with getting the system to start up.

Here's the thing though, read carefully because this is the useful part, when I went to get the T6520 system, it was running Windows XP MCE 05, and I was able to test the card in it to see that it would work since I also believed that my motherboard would simply not accept the new card. But, remember, these two systems have identical motherboards in them, and the HD 3650 ran PERFECTLY under Windows XP!

To make a long story short, Windows Vista is the problem. I'm willing to bet it won't matter if it's 32-bit or 64-bit, either way, the card won't run under Vista on this older hardware. Both systems, W3410 and T6520, are made for Windows XP. Therefore, your solution (if you haven't figured it out by now) is to reinstall XP on your machine. It can be any version of XP, 32 or 64-bit, you like. Unfortunately, Vista has too many bugs, and really isn't ready to be upgrading older machines, even ones that are 3 or 4 years old. Hopefully Windows 7 will correct this flaw.

Like I said, this reply may be a bit late as I saw this topic's last reply was OVER a year ago. But this just means the problem is still out there, so hopefully it'll help anyone who is going through the same thing. Sorry it couldn't be brighter news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back