Problem - BIOS Update - Toshiba Satellite SA50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
I tried flashing my BIOS through windows as recommended on my Laptop Manufacturer (Toshiba) website. I guess the process went wrong as after 2 hours still the message "Do not interrupt" was getting displayed. I had to force power off my PC. Now it is not booting up.
The Laptio is Toshiba SA50-114, Satellite series.Model No - PSA50E-06V053EN.

I have tried suggestions in following link
askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1169474xml&sliceId=&dialogID=28948623&stateId=0%200%2035586212
However, this did not work.

I would like to try suggestions in
devhacks.com/bios-update-failed-heres-what-you-do
However, I don't have the recovery disk tool and BIOS/ROM file. Have tried searching on internet, but with no results.

Can someone please help me with
1. How can I perform the BIOS update to get my PC running back.

2. Point me to links where I can find the files in the abov link.

Many Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Parag

You may be out of luck here... They don't give serious warnings for flashing the bios for nothing... You might have to replace the motherboard. It is that serious

Well you have a couple possible solutions to corrupt BIOS here.

1. Depending on the motherboard, you might be able to replace the flash ROM chip with one that was preprogrammed by the motherboard manufacturer or from a vendor (if you can find one), which provides replacement BIOS chips containing the same BIOS code as that provided by your motherboard vendor. This unfortunately probably isn't a likely solution because your ROM chip is probably totally integrated or soldered being that it's a laptop and all.

2. You buy a ROM burner and reprogram the ROM chip yourself. Again, not a likely solution because of your ROM chip being integrated/soldered, but worth throwing out there if it doesn't happen to be by some miracle.

3. Even if this solution is available to you, it's going to be a real pain because you'll have to disassemble your laptop and that isn't recommended if you're posting here asking for a fix on corrupt BIOS. You'll need minimum of a power supply, a speaker, and a floppy drive configured as drive A: to be attached to the motherboard for this procedure to work:

A. Change the Flash Recovery jumper to the recovery mode position. Virtually all Intel motherboards and many third-party motherboards have a jumper or switch for BIOS recovery, which in most cases is labeled “Recover/Normal.”

B. Install the bootable BIOS upgrade disk you previously created to do the flash upgrade into drive A: and reboot the system. Because of the small amount of code available in the nonerasable flash boot block area, no video prompts are available to direct the procedure. So, you will see nothing onscreen. In fact, it is not even necessary for a video card to be connected for this procedure to work. The procedure can be monitored by listening to the speaker and looking at the floppy drive LED. When the system beeps and the floppy drive LED is lit, the system is copying the BIOS recovery code into the flash device.

C. As soon as the drive LED goes off and the system beeps (normally twice), the recovery should be complete. Sometimes there might be pauses where the drive stops reading during the recovery process; however, the process might not be complete. Be sure to wait for a minute or so to ensure a complete recovery before turning off the system. When you are sure the recovery is complete and there is no sign further activity, power off the system.

D. Change the flash recovery jumper back to the default position for normal operation.

4. The easiest and most likely option for you to choose: You call the manufacturer of your laptop and say hey, I made a boo boo, how's about giving me an RMA? :)

Nice post Zenosincks, but this is a laptop. Most of those options you mention are for desktop motherboards right?

I never flash laptop bios, the motherboards are too expensive to take the chance that paraggaikwad (geeze some of these names :rolleyes: ) did... The more expensive desktop motherboards have "Protected" bios. I've never seen this in a laptop or notebook

Yep, they sure are, and I made sure to make note of that multiple times through the post :).

*Edit*

Oh, and thanks :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back