Cannot access hard drives from "My Computer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinaya_pande

Hi Everybody!

One of the @#$%* Trojans (amvo.exe or gumkrhf.bat or some other of their ilk) has messed up my Registry. I now cannot access my hard drives fom the My Computer folder. The system is recognising the hard drives as "files". Every time I click on a drive icon, I get a long list of programs and a prompt to choose one of them to access the alleged "file". I can of course open the drive from Explorer, which is tedious. Can some kind soul tell me how to resolve the problem?

vinaya_pande

Try performing an XP repair... You can Google for the instructions. You will need a XP install CD

To: Tmagic650, the TechSpot Evangelist!

Thanks a GB for your very helpful suggestion. Good old System Restore did the trick. But I am still in a fog as to what exactly caused the problem in the first place; in particular, what specific changes were made by the @#$%* virus in the Registry and how could Regedit have been used to rectify them. This knowledge would be of great help to the very large number (in my estimation) of folks afflicted with the same difficulty. Could you please evangelize on this?

vinaya_pande

It doesn't take much for a Virus or other malware to alter the registry or prevent a program from functioning properly. There is no set reason for any infection, and to manually correct the damage is a "hit or miss" task at best. I can spend 2 days trying to "clean" a system, or less than 2 hours reformating and reinstalling a fresh copy of the Operating System

repair vs rebuild is highly religious topic (not in theology but in emotional content).

There's pros/cons to both choices and consideration for the effort to complete either
choice vs how much important data one is willing to toss to the wind.

Either way, the great moral to the experience is it teaches us all to backup or
replication important data so that we get more choices when the need arises :)

For the computer tech especially techs that have a lot of experience, a good reformat once in a while really helps keep a system in shape. My documents and pictures are backed up on and external drive and also present on another internal drive. If you are prepared, data loss is not a threat. For the novice computer user data loss is always a threat. 99% of my customers don't back up anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back