£130 budget to increase wireless signal

Ancell

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice and help on how to improve my wireless signal around my house. I have a £130 budget to spend.

I am with virgin media and I am currently using a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND wireless router "http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR1043ND"

The wireless only just reaches downstairs and across the hall to my bedroom. But the signal is very weak, 1 or 2 bars. My dads laptop is wireless N and his laptop picks up other signals that are much stronger then our own router in our house. My xbox (wireless n) also is always dropping connection. My laptop wireless g. I cant even use, I would have to sit in the same room as the router which I don't want to do.

The signal use to be a bit stronger than what it is now, but over the last couple of weeks its got worse. My laptop is very old so I can understand why I don't get much reception. But my xbox and dads laptop is always picking up other wireless signals much stronger.

Im not to advanced with all the wireless devices out there.

I was considering buying one of the following:

A new wireless router.
A wireless repeater.
3x New Antennas for my current router.
Internet Home Plugs which I heard do not always work
Wireless Access Point which I don't understand.
Wireless Bridge which I don't understand.

Do I buy a wireless bridge and put it anywhere in the house where it can pick up my wireless signal, and then I can connect through that via Ethernet cable?

I don't understand wireless that much, I did upgrade to virgin media super hub and 30MB broadband but the wireless didn't even reach into the next room. so I downgraded back to 20MB and the modem.

I just want to achieve max signal all around my house. My dads laptop picks the signal up best but still drops out alot and is around 3 bars. Where as other signals are 5 bars and 4 bars etc.

What would be my first best option and second best option.

I have also done many other things, checked my wireless environment, moved the router around in the current room. Changed channels, upgraded firmware. etc

Also just to mention, my TP-link router has been sent off for inspection as the signal kept getting worse, but I know if they did give me a replacement, their wouldn't be much of an improvement as the signal wasn't great even when it were brand new. I would really like to be able to sit in my own bedroom with laptop and xbox both full signal, it's only in the next room,.

Thanks for any help. Much appreciated.

Dan

Check this out. It is a wireless router that claims to have up to a 2000 meter range.. Even if it does half of that you would still be in great shape. At this price I am tempted to buy one myself even though I do not need it.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.asp?px=DN&scriteria=AA99319

Also on a side note: could it be possible something is interfering with your router's signal? Cordless phone or similar device. If this is the case you may want to invest in a dual band router.

Back