0x00000024 Ntfs.sys bulls*it

Status
Not open for further replies.

McYaballow

So I've had this problem on my hard drive for maybe 5 years now and I thought it's about time to get this fixed finally! I'm not really good with computers, so bare with me here.. Everytime I start my computer, I get the BSOD. I also tried putting the HDD into my other computer as a slave drive and I still get the BSOD. So I was reading other posts here in these forums about disabling your Ntfs.sys in order to run Chkdsk on Windows 2K but I don't know how to do that in the case of Windows XP boot disks. I vaguely remember actually reaching the point of being able to run chkdsk like 5 years ago when the problems started, but I think the report said the problem was unrecoverable or something.. I might be mistaken. It should also be pointed out that these problems started immediately when I attempted to try out a Native Instruments synth on the PC. I also got the same BSOD with OTHER Native Instruments programs on another computer, but they weren't permanent.

you can simply run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console (using your XP boot disks). Click here
No luck; I tried both booting with the Windows XP CD and the boot floppy disks. For XP SP2 there were 6 of the disks. Whenever I reached the point of hitting R for recovery console, the same BSOD appears.

Please post your system information, and attach a zip of your 5 most recent minidumps.
These will be found in the minidump sub-folder of your windows folder.
Without more information we would be "shooting in a white-out at a polar bear that likely isn't even there."
Might accidentally hit something... but likely not what was intended.

When I arrived, one of the Mods welcomed me with these helpful hints (among others).
  • You should read how to post a new thread in this Guide.
  • Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.
  • Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.
    System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
    And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

Windows: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702
Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
CPU Info: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
CPU Speed: 2971,3 MHz
Sound card: USB Audio
Display Adapters: Radeon X1650 Series | Radeon X1650 Series Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Monitors: 1
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: E: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8162B | F: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-248F
COM Ports: COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 8 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 298,1GB | G: 931,5GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 276,3GB | G: 731,2GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
Product Make: Dimension 8300
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 04/28/03 | DELL - 6
Time Zone: FLE Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp. 0M2035
Modem: Not detected
--------------------------------------
Ok but I don't understand about the minidumps.. How am I supposed to aquire these files from the corrupted HDD because the BSOD keeps coming all the time?

Ok I burned the Knoppix CD, I shut down the computer and switched my HDD to the corrupted one, I booted the computer from the CD and the OS started fine. I went to the file explorer, but when I clicked the the corrupted HDD, it gave the following error:

"Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure"

So then I shut down, switched back to my regular HDD but now in the very start at the BIOS loading I get this silent beeping sound from my computer every 2 secs and it is now unable to load my normal HDD, giving an error about being unable to detect/find my primary drive!

Primary drive 0 not found
Primary drive 1 not found

So then I started the Knoppix with this HDD and it doesnt even detect it in the file explorer! And now im writing this message from Knoppix with no functioning HDD except my USB external one. My computer though still does detect the corrupted HDD like before if I connect it. I doubt there is anything wrong with the physical way I connect the hard drive, since ive done the procedure like a hundred times before with no problems and I can connect the old HDD without problems. Can this problem be attributed to the Knoppix OS? Help is seriously needed quickly!

EDIT: The problem is still the same except there is no beeping sound anymore.
EDIT: I tried resetting the BIOS and it didn't help. It's nice to see how my computer starts to fall apart suddenly when trying to fix another problem.
EDIT: I tried putting the the HDD which my newer computer couldn't detect to my older computer. There it gives an Operating system not found -error, but this could be just because the computer is 11 years old. I was thinking about trying to start Knoppix on that but I fear it may have the same effect as on my newer computer.

My priority is still to recover the files from the old corrupted HDD, since the newer one had no important files and I can format the old HDD after file recovery and start using it. I would like to get this fixed ASAP since my university studies will be beginning in a week and I definately need a functioning computer! So currently I can only operate through the Knoppix OS and BIOS and I have an old computer with Win98 installed on it.

Sorry but I’m really stumped for how to best proceed

I’ll list some general thoughts of things to do/try but understand I really don’t know if they’ll help or just be “busy work”

1. Before trying anything else, you might want to first create a sector-by-sector disk copy so you can preserve current disk image. Recovery tools, themselves, will do destructive writes to the disk, also in case the disk itself should fail. You might try Acronis True Image (which gives you 14days free trial as well)
> When you do the Acronis backup, be sure to check the Sector-by-sector option when doing the backup
> When the backup is done, have it next Validate the backup
> If only just for the heck-of-it you might even trying restoring the image on a different HD (to prove you can do so) as well as see if you have any better luck at recovering from the drive image off a different HD

2. Booting from a Gparted Live CD. See [post=720766]How to boot from a G-Parted-Live-CD[/post] Then see if Gparted and/or TestDisk tools might be able to access the HD

3. I vaguely recall reading of a ntfs recovery tool that runs under Ubuntu. I've never used it but if i can find a relevant link i'll post it

Also, curious, if you recall when you BSOD hitting R for recovery console.. is that still a BSOD 0x00000024? Or a different code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back