0x00000050 & 0x0000008e

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyleenow

Hi guy and gal.
Have a small problem with a P4XFA motherboard. My P4XFA motherboard which is inter CPU will not setup windows xp pro. It will boot up to setup windows xp pro. Then when files start to copy over from the CD. After formatting the HDD (manages about 2% of over) then I get 0x00000050. Remove and replace the ram, then I get a 0x0000008e.
I’m getting sick of the error , remove all CD, NIC and so on. Still getting those error 0x00000050 and 0x0000008e . YES had replace the ram twice. With ram that is new. Oh replace old HDD because it had bad sector. Help ? Thanx .

0x00000050 & 0x0000008e anything else??

Zenosincks.

Thanks for the suggestion about 0x00000050 & 0x0000008e.Both point to the RAM itself. I haD tried replacing the ram. They WERE 1x512DDR. . I replace them with two 256DDR.Same error 0x00000050. So I took one out. Left only one 256DDR chip. Got a 0x0000008e . So I had one 512DDR RAM. Replace with 2x256DDR. Got a error. Tried with only 1x256DDR got the 0x00008e. Not I’m at me wits end on what to do.

Any other suggestion ?

Yes, try the other troubleshooting tips on Microsoft's page. They suggest that the cache on your CPU may be defective and offer advice on how to test that as well as other possible culprits.

Read both pages top to bottom, try everything that you can and then post back with your results.

CPU L1 & L2 Cache ?

Zenosincks. In the “Advanced BIOS Features” there a CPU L1 & L2 Cache : Enable
The CPU L2 Cache ECC Checking: Disable. I will disable the CPU L1 & L2 Cache.
Will get back to you on those. This that right ???
BTW. From how I'm diagnose the problem, you can tell the a newbies.

According to Microsoft's support page, you want to disable your CPU cache and then attempt to install Windows to ensure that it's not defective. Look through your BIOS setup and use some common sense, you'll find the option if it's there.

Be aware that disabling the CPU cache will probably cause your system to run ridiculously slow. However, keep in mind that this will not be a permanent configuration, it is only temporary. Do not stop the installation process.

If that fails, they suggest that you try another video card.

0x50 errors can also be caused by incompatible/faulty software such as antivirus or other hardware issues such as a bad PCI card; RAM can also be at fault..

Here are my suggestions.

1. Run MemTest on your RAM. If you google MemTest you can find it and it is absolutely free. Run it for a minimum of 7 passes. This takes time. if you have any errors your have bad memory and will need to be replaced.

2. Run chkdsk and see if it finds any errors Run > chkdsk > hit enter

3. Run a full harddrive diagnostics test. your harddrive manufacturer will provide a free utility. let us know if you have errors.

4. Lastly, if you continue to have BSODs attach your minidumps.

Keep us informed.

Route44 said:
Leave your Cache levels where they are at. The motherboard automatically sets them.

0x50 errors can also be caused by incompatible/faulty software such as antivirus or other hardware issues such as a bad PCI card; RAM can also be at fault..

Here are my suggestions.

1. Run MemTest on your RAM. If you google MemTest you can find it and it is absolutely free. Run it for a minimum of 7 passes. This takes time. if you have any errors your have bad memory and will need to be replaced.

2. Run chkdsk and see if it finds any errors Run > chkdsk > hit enter

3. Run a full harddrive diagnostics test. your harddrive manufacturer will provide a free utility. let us know if you have errors.

4. Lastly, if you continue to have BSODs attach your minidumps.

Keep us informed.

Not trying to call you out, I believe you know more about stop errors than myself, it's generally where you post.

That said, can you expand on the bold text for me (how exactly does the motherboard automatically set cache levels...:confused:) and explain why it's not the CPU cache (although, personally I believe it to be unlikely that the cache is defective, still worth a shot). Just trying to understand your reasoning.

*Edit*

Bah, the post here is different than I got via email notification.

I am not saying it is not the cpu. In my original post I realized I misspoke which is why I immediately went back and edited it.

My concern here is that getting into the Advance BIOS,especially with the cpu... well I am more caucious. I meant in no way to counter your advice;.

My philosophy is also do the simplest things first and take it from there.

Route44 said:
I am not saying it is not the cpu. In my original post I realized I misspoke which is why I immediately went back and edited it.

My concern here is that getting into the Advance BIOS,especially with the cpu... well I am more caucious. I meant in no way to counter your advice;.

My philosophy is also do the simplest things first and take it from there.

No offense taken at all, honestly. It's not my advice, it's Microsoft's advice - I merely repeated it. I wasn't attempting to call you out or anything, as I said I believe you have more experience and knowledge with stop errors/minidumps than myself. It's not something that particularly interests me.

Your philosophy is one that is logical, the only reason I assumed it wasn't RAM related (at the very least, not defective RAM), was because he said he replaced the modules (or so I think he did).

Anyway, I've interrupted the thread enough, good luck tommyleenow. :)

Route44 & Zenosincks

Route44 thanks for the suggestion on running the MemTest. The HDD is a new hdd. No software has been added to the HDD. So I don’t believe I to be a Virus issue, as the hdd was just brought and on the seal for on. As for the MemTest . I will run that after the Zenosincks fix first. Thanx. Route44

Zenosincks I was going to ask you about the
CPU running ridiculously slows. Did notice that, as soon as it started to reboot and started to setup windows. It took 1 ½ hours to format and copy the files. Now to starting to read the CD. It’s got 39 minutes to go and still waiting. I will update you on the progress when the came to hand. Zenosincks Will keep you posted. Thanks.

Zenosincks I DID replaced the modules. So I don't think it's the RAM.

Only thing on the motherboard is the 1 AGP Video card, 2X265MB DDR, 160 hdd, cdrom and the CPU.

Yep, everything it's going to be pretty slow because all of the data has to be written/read from your RAM. RAM operates at a significantly lower frequency than that of CPU cache which, these days, operates at same frequency as the CPU core clock.

Again, it's not my "fix", it's Microsoft's suggestion for that stop code. In fact, it's not a "fix" at all. What you are doing is testing to see if your CPU's cache is defective. If the cache turns out to be defective and you manage to install Windows, you're going to experience complications as soon as you enable it again. Thus, you'll need a new CPU (unless you just want to use your PC without cache enabled :D).

Hopefully that's not the case, and it probably isn't as CPU's rarely fail.

Motherboard or CPU

“If the cache turns out to be defective and you manage to install Windows, you're going to experience complications as soon as you enable it again. Thus, you'll need a new CPU (unless you just want to use your PC without cache enabled.

Hopefully that's not the case, and it probably isn't as CPU's rarely fail.”

Zenosincks You’re right about it going sssslllllllooooooooowwwwwww. IF windows setup is successful, and I was to turn the CPU L2 Cache ECC Checking back on. Windows get up and running. The error appears again. Is it more the likely the motherboard or the CPU ?

If Windows is successful in it's installation with the CPU cache off, it can only be the CPU that is defective.

Again, though, I wouldn't put too much hope on it because it's rare that CPU's fail. Never know though :).

Bin it???

Zenosincks : 2 minutes left until the, setup of windows got “INF installation fail. Reason . The parameter is incorrect.” But when I press the ok button the installation continue. Windows setup completed, I shut down.

Enable the “CPU L2 Cache ECC Checking.”

Windows was slow in loading. When it came back on 0x00000050 error appeared. So was, get a new CPU?? Bin the whole thing ? :dead: “Waving to a new one”

tommyleenow said:
Zenosincks : 2 minutes left until the, setup of windows got “INF installation fail. Reason . The parameter is incorrect.” But when I press the ok button the installation continue. Windows setup completed, I shut down.

Enable the “CPU L2 Cache ECC Checking.”

Windows was slow in loading. When it came back on 0x00000050 error appeared. So was, get a new CPU?? Bin the whole thing ? :dead: “Waving to a new one”

Considering your results I would definitely attempt a new CPU.

ON the Shopping list

Zenosincks Thanx for trying to help me, a new CPU is on the shopping list.
Oh. Just a quick question. What is a minidump directory?? Where can I find it in windows ?

No problem really, you should be thanking Route44 as well though, he was happy to offer his time and knowledge.

You can read the Wikipedia page on Windows Error Reporting here. I believe the .dmp files are generally found in the directory C:\Windows\Minidump.

Hopefully replacing the CPU will work for you :).

Memtest

Route44 & Zenosincks I thank you for your help.

Route44 is there an easier way of copy the memtest result over.??

Are you asking if there is a way to post your MemTest results here? It was not clear on what you were asking.

Yes, I'm asking if there is a way to post the MemTest result here. Or can you tell me what part you need. (too long to type it ALL up)

You really don't need to post your MemTest results because if you have any errors then that is all you need to know and the only thing you can do then is replace your bad memory.

As good as MemTest is, however, bad memory has been known to pass, but good memory cannot fail.

Did you get any errors in MemTest?

I think there is a error

Route44. I don't think there is a error

Under the time count down. Where is said "WallTime"

1x256 testing done (NO ERROR)
1x256 Trying this one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back