0x0000008e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sepher

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a family members computer and it was crashing with the stop code 0x0000008E (and others).

My latest resort was a repair installation which seems to have stopped the BSOD but keeps prompting with a "The system has recovered from a serious error" message. If I click "Don't Send" it pops up again and again.

I have run spyware scans (spybot) and virus scans (AVG free) and have cleared everything out. Nothing in device manager is missing. It is fully updated too. I've also run check disk from the recovery console. Ive also done a memory test, but I might try it again and let it do more passes.

Could anyone look at the mini-dump logs the BSOD was creating to see if they can pinpoint this issue? It's starting to drive me mad.

Hopefully the mini-dumps might point to one thing.

Cheers!

All five of your minidumps cite the same 0x8E error and all cite the same core Windows driver which is too general to help.

However, these errors are almost always caused by hardware issues. The first troubleshooting step I would attempt is to test for corrupted memory with memtest.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download their ISO latest version (it's free) and burn to a CD.

2. Go to your BIOS and place your CD/DVD drive as First Bootable.

3. Reboot your system with the CD containing memtest already in the drive. The test will take over.

4. Run the test for a minimum of 7 Passes. This takes considerable time and many people start it before going to bed and check it the nest morning; this is cimpletely safe. There are 8 individual tests per Pass.

5. Any errors and you have to replace your memory; it cannot be fixed. If you have more than one stick of memory run this test on each one individually to determine which one(s) need to be replaced.

* Let us know if you get errors or not.

* Also, for future reference, you don't need to Zip each individual mindump. You can place up to 5 in one Zip file.

The laptop only has one stick of memory. Ive run the test for 7 passes and it's not showing up any errors. So the memory is ok.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Yes, run a harddrive diagnostics. Find out the make of your harddrive, go to their website,and download their free utility to do this diagnostic testing. Run both the S.M.A.R.T. and Long test, especially the Long test. Seagate's Seatools can run diagnose several brands if you want to try it.

In laptops I have seen this error come up because of NIC (wireless) cards. Go to your laptop's manufacturer's website, find your model, and update all drivers including your NIC.

Let us know if your issue has or has not been resolved.

After restarting the laptop when I finished running that memory test it now seems to be working.

The message saying "The system has recovered from a serious error" has disappeared, I've managed to run ccleaner and malware bytes and AVG again and nothing is showing up.

Isn't that strange?

Yes checkdisk went through ok. I think I might have found some culprit. The laptop bag had a fan base in it, you know the things you stick the laptops onto and they have fans built into them.

Well the usb end that went into the laptop had a strange connector on it. Later did I find out that it was part of the usb from the laptop, the little plastic bit. Using this usb port causes the laptop to die completely.

Also if you push down on the ethernet port on the back with little pressure, it will turn off the lcd screen and sometimes shut down or cause the laptop to go into standby.

So I'm guessing there is some kind of earthing/electrical problem with the motherboard? Even tho the laptop runs fine otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back