0x24 when unraring large files

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramen92

When i unrar large files using 7-zip after about 400 mb i crash with a bsod that says 0x00000024. I'm thinking that this could possibly be a hard drive problem, but i have no idea. Its weird, it only happens when i unrar a large file. Anyone have any ideas? ill attach bsod's.

boot into safe mode:

reboot and start tapping the F8 key when you get to the advance menu select safe mode

Click on Start>Run and typ CMD then click enter

Now type chkdsk c: /f /r then click enter if you are ask to reboot then reboot

I read the MiniDumps for you, if you are interested in seeing them yourself you can read them using WIndows Debugging Tools - http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

When you Un-Rar files your Anti-Virus (In Your Case Avast) checks for Viruses and so it kicks off after you try to un-zip the files, something must be wrong with the Avast Software, try fully uninstalling it and try reinstalling it again and then Un-Zip a file, if the problems still persist then try a different Anti-Virus like Avira or AVG.

Also here is 1 of the MiniDump Bugcheck Codes and Probable cause. The red text indicates the Avast Driver.

BugCheck 24, {1902fe, a637c5e8, a637c2e4, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswMon2.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswMon2.SYS
Probably caused by : Ntfs.sys ( Ntfs!NtfsCommonWrite+1d2a )

thank you. ill learn to read minidumps in the future. make the process a whole lot easier. thanks for the help guys, techspot always helps me solve my problems : P.

Ok
Did you try a different Anti-Virus apart from Avast?

If you have run Chkdsk as xxdanielxx suggested, these errors are normally narrowed down to the HDD either whats on it, what it runs or the HDD it self may be damaged. Maybe doing fresh installs of all Security Software may help, but will wait to see what MiniDumps say about it.

ok, i just totally uninstalled all antivirus before i did the unrar. i only run avast antivirus, because im kinda lazy :/. i did a chkdsk, let it run overnight as i have a very large hdd. it didnt come up with anything.

The Errors are the same 0x24 with the cause as "Ntfs.sys" again 1 of the MiniDumps mentions the Avast Driver again, but interestingly it mentions the Process Name as "7zFM.exe" so it seems as if 7-Zip is the problem if you want to still use it then try uninstalling it and reinstalling it, if you still have problems you may need to look at alternatives.

I also Double checked your first MiniDumps you posted and they don't mention 7-Zip so it seems they were both causing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back