0x50 BSOD on new PC, out of ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindstormer

Hi

I recently purchased a new machine, the specs are:
Striker II Formula Motherboard. (Updated to the latest BIOS v1101)
Intel QX9650 Processor
2x Asus Geforce 8800GT in SLI
(2x 2GB) Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5
Thermaltake 1000 Watt power supply
Zalman CNPS9700 NT CPU cooler.
And this case: link
Picture of the system if needed: link
I am running Vista Ultimate.
I have updated to the latest chipset and graphics card drivers about a week ago.

My problem is that when I have both 2GB RAM modules in the two blue slots in the mobo, I keep getting a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSOD fairly frequently. When I just have one of the 2GB RAM modules installed, the BSOD is less frequent, but it does still occur. I have run memtest, no errors came up.

My guess is that the ram is perhaps not compatible with the motherboard? If that is the case, what ram IS compatible? Preferably corsair as my brand options are somewhat limited here in South Africa, I might be able to get kingston too.

I have run Memtest for my ram, S&M for my CPU, and VMT for my video memory, all completed with no errors at all.

I have attached a few of my minidumps since yesterday (5 yesterday, 1 today). One of the BSOD’s was an 0X0A one if I remember correctly.

Another question I have that may be related is why my CPU is so hot: link
Checking the bios, it says my CPU Temperature is about 7c (Fluctuates between 6-7. after the PC has been idle) I felt below my zalman to see and it does seem quite cool to the touch, certainly nowhere near as hot as my NB and SB.
M/B Temperature: 39c
NB Temperature: 60c
SB Temperature: 54c

I hope that is all the needed info. I really need to get this BSOD fixed soon as I'm running out of time to be able to return/exchange the ram with the company I ordered the parts from. (If that is necessary).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Inside the 6 MiniDumps:
BugCheck 50, {f9ac7d30, 1, 81cf596b, 2}
Probably caused by : fileinfo.sys

BugCheck A, {1d00afc, 1b, 0, 81cba8a1}
Probably caused by : win32k.sys

BugCheck 50, {ff974770, 1, 81d01812, 2}
Probably caused by : Pool_Corruption

BugCheck 50, {f97f73f8, 1, 81d2196b, 2}
Probably caused by : Unknown_Image

BugCheck 50, {fcaf4498, 1, 81cf096b, 2}
Probably caused by : luafv.sys

BugCheck 50, {f4f25bb8, 0, 81d3d882, 2}
Probably caused by : luafv.sys

These errors report that one or more of your installed hardware drivers may either require updating to the current revision.
Or that you need to use the windows Vista drivers instead of the manufactures ones (if any accept this)

Please update all your drivers.
Any further errors; remove Avast and try AVG Free instead

Thing is, I have updated my drivers...
Other than my nforce and forceware drivers which are updated, the only other non-vista-included driver I installed was my screen maybe.

I'll remove and reinstall them.

Edit: Should I be using the motherboard drivers from Nvidia or Asus's website? http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=Striker II Formula
What about the Asus 8800GT's? So far I have been using the drivers for both of the above from Nvidia's website.

Monitor doesn't matter :)

Ok, also try if the drivers are automatically installed by Windows

You should also try AVG too

kimsland said:
Monitor doesn't matter :)

Ok, also try if the drivers are automatically installed by Windows

You should also try AVG too

Well, I know for graphics cards at least its usually a good idea to keep them updated. Or does vista have its own support for SLI? Windows update might list the latest driver in any case.

Edit: Just got another, BSOD, power has been off for 4+ hours, so I wasn't able to do anything. This time it was different, first I've seen of an 0x0000008E. Minidump attached.

Thanks, I'll run memtest overnight tonight then.

I've heard my motherboard is quite picky with ram too, any chance it is the cause?

kimsland said:
60% Ram 30% CPU 10% PSU 10% other! (hangon that's 110%! - make sure it's not overclocked too :) )

No overclocking done. Only thing I've set in the BIOS are the default settings for my ram as shown on their data sheet (5-5-5-18 @ 1.9v). :)

7 Passes will take a while

Reply back later
I might be away for a day as well, but by replying your post will go to the top of the list, and therefore somone may reply, if I'm not back yet.

One pass takes about 50min. So overnight should be more than enough time. I'll probably have it going for 7-8 hours.

Anyway, thanks for the help thus far.
Should there be no errors, is it still possible that even though the ram modules themselves are fine, that it's just my mobo being picky? In which case replacing the ram would still be necessary? (Or perhaps the motherboard for a less problematic one should that be the case.)

(2x 2GB) Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5
Striker II Formula Motherboard. (Updated to the latest BIOS v1101)

This area is difficult to confirm
There are a number of different possibilities with hardwares
There are a few good builders here, that may comment on that.
I would need to read all the reviews and bench marks.
But even then, it's not until you have experience in these certain hardwares working together, to make any judgement.

So far it's bad! (But not conclusive)

Ok (there is the off chance that your ram is still faulty and memtest just hasn't picked it up. But I'm willing to move on away from Ram anyhow.

By chance do you have another PowerSupply? (probably not)

Also do you have onboard video? If so, you may want to remove any PCI-Express video card (note I have not looked up the specs of your m/b)

The compatability issues I'm unaware of, but still may be the issue here.

It's a matter of trying this and that, even trying another HardDrive.

Please continue to post MiniDumps, until the pattern makes more sense.

Hmm, I had kingston ram before, however, the company I got the PC built from had promised corsair. The kingston ram also gave BSOD's, but usually only one every day or two. The current corsair seems to result in 6+ a day. That's why I keep thinking it's the ram.

The Mobo manual also has a select list of verified RAM models, neither the kingston I had, nor the corsair is listed on it.

No onboard video card to try.

Two more minidumps attached.

Inside the 2 MiniDumps:
BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 81d34882, a73eabf4, 0}
Probably caused by : ntkrpamp.exe

BugCheck 50, {fc2d0898, 1, 81d3596b, 2}
Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )

Okay, I got a new BSOD this time: 0x00000024.
Ntfs.sys

Not sure if this is important, but I have used Acronis True Image to restore the vista image i'm using now after having formatted XP to test some sound issues I was having pre-vista-SP1.

Minidump:

kimsland said:
Inside the 1 MiniDump:

I ran a check disk and it completed successfully.

Edit: another 0x50, Figured out how to check myself and the same area said: ntkrpamp.exe, part of vista? Should I perhaps consider a reformat?

I uninstalled all my nvidia mobo and graphics card drivers, had to install the latest graphics card drivers again (From asus's site this time) as the default vista ones that were automatically installed didn't give much support for running any 3D games. I have not had another BSOD in the last 17 hours, however, my system has frozen twice. (Mouse just locks up, everything stops moving and I have to reset/restart the PC). This is the first time any such thing has occurred.
Nothing in the event viewer other than an "unexpected shutdown" error at the time of the lockup, even though it did not restart the PC.

Having left the PC on overnight, it says the unexpected shutdown happened at 2AM, yet this morning it was frozen on the desktop and had not shut down yet.

I would think this would be memory related, but any other ideas?

On another note, is there any reason Dxdiag>display tab tells me I have approx memory: 1756MB when my 8800GT's each only have 512? 512+512=1024. 1756 is quite a bit off.

When you first start your computer up
You should see a message like "Press DEL to enter setup" or press F2 for cmos" or something like that (it will display for about 3seconds, and you need to press that key at that time.

You may need to refer to your manual to confirm the exact key, if it isn't displayed

kimsland said:
When you first start your computer up
You should see a message like "Press DEL to enter setup" or press F2 for cmos" or something like that (it will display for about 3seconds, and you need to press that key at that time.

You may need to refer to your manual to confirm the exact key, if it isn't displayed

Oh, so just the BIOS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back