1 DSL modem/router and 1 cable router

I have a 2wire DSL/router that emits a terrible wifi signal. I have a Linksys WR110 that I want to use as my primary wifi on my home network. Problem is I can't figure it out how to make it work. Is it possible to run a cable wifi router off a dsl/router to use as an access point? or a stand alone WiFi point and just have the DSL/Router using the Lan ports only?

If it was me, I'd do the following:

1. Turn off the wireless in the DSL router.
2. Turn off the DHCP server on the Linksys router.
3. Setup the wireless of the Linksys
4. Assign a static IP address to the linksys router in the range of the firs router. e.g. If your current IP for logging into the first router is 192.168.1.1 then change the Linksys to 192.168.1.105 or something.
5. Connect the DSL router from Port 1 to the Linksys router Port 1.

In effect, you use the DSL router to assign IP addresses on the network, and use the Linksys mearly as a wireless access point.

Could you give me either a link to the online manual, or the exact model and model number please. I'll check it out for you.

Connect to your router:

1. Click on the Home Network tab
2. On the right hand side of the summary page, click on DISABLE button, on the Local Interfaces box.
3. That should then be your 2 Wire router sorted.

new problem has arisen. Now I cannot connect to Vuze ( a media sharing application, a lot like Tversity) it is plugged into my 2wire still. What should I do if I want to still stream my media from Vuze?

That I can't comment about, as I don't stream media from my routers.

That said, if its streamed via wireless its not going to be possible, as the wireless is no longer working on that router.

Is it in-built, or do you plug it into the router or something?

I have my Home PC ethernet into 2wire router. 2wire router ethernet to linksys router. Linksys is acting as sole wifi connection of which my 360 streams media wireless. However, since i have done this, I no longer have access to my files and folders on my desktop.

That's odd, its still part of the same network, so I'm not sure what would be causing that.

I would check the control panel for the Linksys router and see if it has a option for functioning in wireless access point only mode. It might be a setting on your linksys router causing the problem.

No, i shouldn't imagine so.

You only gave your linksys a static IP because the DHCP capabilities of the linksys router have been turned off. So it needs a fixed IP to work.

Your networked folders should still be searchable from anywhere within your network. Try hunting them down via the network folder in Windows and see if you can locate them.

yes, i went to the desktop and realized it had the same ip as my linksys router so it had a mixed signal. fixed that and everything runs smoothly. hope anyone that sees this finds it helpful. Thanks Leeky *props*

Back