TechSpot

1 Long Beeps, Followed by 3 Short Beeps (sometimes)

By 1bellb
Apr 3, 2009
  1. Hi, I have recently built my own PC but for some reason I keep getting 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps, but it doesnt happen all the time, sometimes it will turn on fine and other times I get the beeps, it is really annoying me because I cant find any problems, I have read that these beeps can be the Graphics card or the RAM but I find it strange that it does it sometimes and not all the time, can anyone please help with this problem, Thanks.

My system specs are as followed:
    Asus P5K Premium Motherboard
    Intel Quad Core Q6600 CPU
    8GB Reaper RAM
    BFG NVIDIA GTX280 OC Graphics Card
    CoolerMaster 1000W PSU

2. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 TS Rookie Posts: 563

hi 1bellb

make sure that all of your RAM chips are firmly placed into their slots and that they aren't susceptible to movement in and out of the slots. You could also run Memtest on your chips from here - www.memtest.org. You've heard right about the beeping sounds probably being caused by RAM issues. Good luck :)

Spyder_1386 :)

3. 1bellb

1bellb TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 107

How do you make it boot from CD because I have copied all the files to a CD and when I boot it just past the Boot from CD part and goes to the Windows Boot

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Here is the Memtest guide, please follow it exactly

Hint: You will be opening the "ISO" file

5. 1bellb

1bellb TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 107

Right guys, I did the MemTest and everything is fine apparently, No errors at all. So now im really stuck on what to do. Because I now know it isnt the RAM, so what is it, Could it be the Graphics Card or could it be the PSU

6. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,168   +37

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

check my guide.... it's all there....

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.