1 out of 3 laptops won't browse through wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Apologies for a similar link but none of the other threads seem to work.

We have a cable modem and a Netgear WGR614 Router. The wifi works fine with 2 x Vista laptops, a Blackberry and a HP 5500 Wireless printer.

Our Dell Inspiron 6000 XP Laptop (which existed on this network before all the above devices) was working fine til last week and now won't connect unless on an ethernet into the Netgear router.

I've tried the standard winsock fix but it didn't work.

I can ping the router and ping websites from the cmd prompt but no browsing will take place. I get the usual cannot connect page from explorer. I've tried it on other open wifi networks nearby and it's the same. The wifi icon says Speed 54mbps Connection Excellent. I have DHCP enabled to auto on the router and all the laptops and we're running WEP 64 bit security.

Please help :)

2 things to try, one, only do it if your experienced with it.

1. Take out the wireless card, and reconnect it, but make sure the laptop is unplugged and battery is out..

2. Reinstall the drivers for it. If you have already done so, my apologies, just wasn't stated.

Right now I have no other options, I'll think it over, if something comes to me I'll reply.

I can ping the router and ping websites from the cmd prompt but no browsing will take place. I get the usual cannot connect page from explorer. I've tried it on other open wifi networks nearby and it's the same. The wifi icon says Speed 54mbps Connection Excellent. I have DHCP enabled to auto on the router and all the laptops and we're running WEP 64 bit security.
using command prompt enter
nslookup www.google.com. (note the trailing DOT)​
the reply should look something like
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: google.navigation.opendns.com
Addresses: 208.67.219.231, 208.67.219.230
Aliases: www.google.com
If not, then you have a DNS issue, not a hardware issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back