$100 GPU recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What PSU do you have? HD 4850, as suggested by red, is a great choice. If you're looking for something with lower power consumption then check out the HD 4770.

Thanx for the guideline, it really helped.
mine is a 400w psu. Anyway whats wrong with Nvidia 9800 GT? A friend offered me a new for only 40 bucks!

Thanx for the guideline, it really helped.
mine is a 400w psu. Anyway whats wrong with Nvidia 9800 GT? A friend offered me a new for only 40 bucks!

A new 9800 GT for $40 is by far the best deal you can get price/performance wise as they are currently retailing for about double that. Nothing in the $40 - $60 range will even come close to its performance, just make sure that you have a 6pin on your PSU if your 9800 GT requires one.

Ensure that it's not the 9800GT Green Edition as it much less powerful compared to the normal 9800GT cards.

Ensure that it's not the 9800GT Green Edition as it much less powerful compared to the normal 9800GT cards.

are you sure about that?

my 9800gt ee
9800gtee-8MF2I.gif

are you sure about that?

yep, for one they had to lower the core and shader clocks from 600 to 550 Mhz and from 1500 to 1375Mhz to be able to operate on 75w. It also lacks headroom if you are inclined to overclock. also a disproportionate number of owners have problems with the card going black screen while gaming. no doubt the reason that Nvidia partners are retiring it. Think about it for a second....if it performed the same as a 130w 9800gt, why would they not make them all low power?

Well i guess other folks had issues with it, but i sure don'.t Works perfectly on my Pentium d. I understand the green edtion may be less powerful in terms of specs or whatever, but for 65 bucks you can't go wrong you know. Best buy has these cards for 65 dollars in the clearance section all the time. Its really a powerful card, allows me to play games really good.

On another note, i was planning to stick with non power connector cards, but i am in the process of upgrading my pentium d and might end up buying a 5770 which only requires one 6 pin which i have on my psu.

i wish my best buy had a clearence section, lol. Everything is always 20-30% more than you pay online.

i wish my best buy had a clearence section, lol. Everything is always 20-30% more than you pay online.

Tha General's BB must be an exception as mine is way overpriced as well especially hardware. They do however put some smaller PC games on sale below value when they run low on stock which is always nice :) .

Tha General's BB must be an exception as mine is way overpriced as well especially hardware. They do however put some smaller PC games on sale below value when they run low on stock which is always nice .
Yeah mine too. I saw an antec 650w for $200+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back