~1000 budget for gaming pc. Need your opinions!

Hello hello. I'm new to this site and well.. I've never done research into computers before. I game when I can but i kind of make due with what I have and I'd like to put an end to that and buy something more for me.

I'm going to a gaming school next term. I will be using some demanding 3d programs for modeling as well as using it for gaming and then some more gaming.
My total budget is around 1000 dollars but I can manage 1200 or so.
I live in the U.S, Pennsylvania. Will be moving to pittsburgh soon.
I'm always busy so I do not have time to sit down and build a computer. I wish I did. More so than anything I'd like to know what specs to look for in a computer above others.

So, basically i'm an artist who doesn't know the first thing about computers other than how to use them. The game I plan on getting into when I move out is final fantasy 14. if my new pc can at least run that smoothly on pretty high settings I'll be more than content.

The reason I came to this site is to maybe open my eyes a little bit and send me in the right direction (to help me avoid spending too much or too little) I wont expect someone to do research for me, though that would be nice. Some general computer brand/models suggestions and your ideas on them would be awesome.

thank you ahead of time. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section, though it seems like the right one.

Im sorry. I would like the price to include a monitor at the very least.

I'm always busy so I do not have time to sit down and build a computer. I wish I did. More so than anything I'd like to know what specs to look for in a computer above others.
Takes less than two hours first time off, from my experience. IMO well worth it, and much faster than any prebuil system under $1300 USD.

What size harddrive? What size monitor (also widescreen or no)? Would you like to include an OS/software/peripherals?

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
OCZ Reaper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1600C6LV4GK
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX
ASUS VH232H Glossy Black 23" 5ms Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor w/Speakers & HDMI
GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Since you seem to pressed for time, I'll recommend the Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case case as a capable and affordable case, but you can pick whatever.

Total: ≈$1000 USD

Also, anyone know how CUDA does for 3D modeling? Would it be better to go with a GTX460?

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1600C8LV4GK
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX
ASUS VH232H Glossy Black 23" 5ms Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor w/Speakers & HDMI
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

well give the guy a MB to plug all this into HK :p

Sorry, internet died for a bit; was editing it in.
Anyway, now we just have to convince him that building a computer would be ezPzLemonSqueezy.

I built my first computer last year, its not hard, its a little nerve wracking putting your cpu in you mother board the first time (dont forget to use the thermal paste). But way way worth it, I spent around 800$ and couldn't find a prebuilt computer for under 1200$ that came close. Just read your motherboards manual it will tell you to plug in stuff where it needs to go. It took me about 30 minutes.

If you go with kittys selection you can play any game at max settings easily. If you really want a prebuilt computer im sure someone here can recommend something for you, tiger direct or newegg is where I would look for a prebuilt computer.

Takes less than two hours first time off, from my experience. IMO well worth it, and much faster than any prebuil system under $1300 USD.

Total: ≈$1000 USD

Also, anyone know how CUDA does for 3D modeling? Would it be better to go with a GTX460?

Thank you for gettin me around a 1000$ total. I think I'll definitely consider building it in that case :p thanks for all your support and suggestions. as far as hard drive goes, I don't do much music or movies at all. 200 gigs would take me a long way

Also, is every item you linked me all I'll need in order to build this or would I need additional accessories? I mean I can manage screw drivers but would I need to buy any glue?

Ah well, you can't get much cheaper than $65 ish for the harddrive, I'd stay with the 640.
Of course, there's the 500, but it's only $5 cheaper.

Glad to hear you'll be trying to build.

Also, is every item you linked me all I'll need in order to build this or would I need additional accessories? I mean I can manage screw drivers but would I need to buy any glue?
Nah, you won't need anything except for a Phillips-head screwdriver.
It should come with everything, including screws.
As I mentioned earlier, you can chose a case, or just pick the one I have above.
Oh, and you'll need an OS, probably Windows 7 64.

Also, I forwarded newegg's annual black friday email.
Theres just a few things that may interest you.
This is basically the same board, but it's now a little cheaper with the discount:
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard
The ASUS dvd drive I linked to above is on sale, it's a tiny bit cheaper.

Now there are also two alternative monitors on sale that might fit your needs more.
Acer G215HAbd Black 21.5" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000:1(ACM)
for $140 USD.
ASUS VE276Q Black 27" 1920X1080 2ms Full HD HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor w/Display Port & Speakers 300 cd/m2 100,000 :1 (ASCR)
$300 USD with promocode.

Glad to hear you'll be trying to build.

Nah, you won't need anything except for a Phillips-head screwdriver.
It should come with everything, including screws.
As I mentioned earlier, you can chose a case, or just pick the one I have above.
you've definitely outdone yourself with all your help! Just one last inquiry though :p Now what if I have a wireless router? What would I need to receive the signal? Some kind of wireless card? I'm not too sharp in this area either

you've definitely outdone yourself with all your help! Just one last inquiry though Now what if I have a wireless router? What would I need to receive the signal? Some kind of wireless card? I'm not too sharp in this area either
About wireless, yes you'll want a wireless card. In fact, you'll definitely want a PCI card as USB dongles and similar are pretty crappy.
As to the exact one, I'm pretty sure you have to give us some more details on your router. I actually don't know that much about this either; I haven't used wireless for a few years. It won't cost more than about $20 USD though, nothing excessive.

About wireless, yes you'll want a wireless card. In fact, you'll definitely want a PCI card as USB dongles and similar are pretty crappy.
As to the exact one, I'm pretty sure you have to give us some more details on your router. I actually don't know that much about this either; I haven't used wireless for a few years. It won't cost more than about $20 USD though, nothing excessive.

yeah Im familiar with them usb shits. Drove me nuts. That's all I needed to know however :) i'll have the modem hooked up to my computer anyway, i just wanted to know for future reference. thanks again! Can't thank you enough :)

I have a d-link usb router its about the size of 3 flash drives, cost around 50$, but runs like a champ, it reaches where my old pci card wouldn't. If I knew pci routers were so cheap I would have likely got one of those instead ^^. Have fun on your new pc and you should visit howstuff works or google a computer building guide via google just to get the feel of building. Look at one with pictures, they are pretty basic, they take like 4 min to browse through.

Back