12GB Picked up but only 6GB usable

By DKRON
Nov 3, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I have been dealing with errors for a good month now with my new I7 gaming rig i built, originally everything worked ok, then started bluescreening and only picking up smaller amounts of RAM, have been unplugging and seperating fans and it has been working....for a day....need some more ideas to try
  2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

faulty ram possible?

Run memtest.
  3. DKRON

DKRON TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 552   +9

Already done memory test and got 5 passes before i exited it
  4. LinkedKube

Did it recognize all the ram when you ran the test? Is this entire set identical? What are your voltages?
  5. LinkedKube

What are your timings? 12gb kits usually requires looser timings than just a 6gb kit.
  6. DKRON

Yes it picked up the 6 2GB chips and they are identical, the voltages for the sticks are 1.65v, and how do you check timings?
  7. DKRON

I worked out the problem, the RAM voltage was too high for the motherboard, thanks to my brother who sold me it saying that it was all fine. hopfully it hasn't damaged any of the other parts

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.