12v@60a =24v@30a Opinions?

Vilpted

I made the mistake of being lazy and bought a pre-built computer now somebody may think that the nitro is a bad computer but I don't think it is it's got some flaws and the number one fly the thing that put me on a commission was my PSU it fried on me I believe at least that's what my multimeter says now I'm going through ideas of how to replace it I don't have the most money and I'm thinking to myself that maybe I can just buy a 24 volt power supply and using that is kind of a 12 volt power supply but my idea is that the 24 volts will pretty much turn into 12 volts because I don't have enough amperage I've done this to countless machines in the past, but never a pc.
35 years of experience has showed me that there's always someone who's better than me, no matter how much that idea..🤮
Help me brainstorm please. Truth is; later I think I'll be listening to #Whitesnake.
Here I go again on my own......

Last edited:
PC PSUs generate +3.3, +5, and +12 volts (plus 5V standby and -12V), and they’re all needed. Not to mention the requirement for a tiny ripple voltage (sub 40 mV), load monitoring, and active PFC. If you can get a 24V DC supply that you can modify to meet all of the above, and to ATX2.1 and PCIe 3.0 standards, then sure, fine idea. However, I would argue that it’s far safer (to the components with the PC) to save an appropriate amount of money and purchase a decent PC-specific PSU.

PC PSUs generate +3.3, +5, and +12 volts (plus 5V standby and -12V), and they’re all needed. Not to mention the requirement for a tiny ripple voltage (sub 40 mV), load monitoring, and active PFC. If you can get a 24V DC supply that you can modify to meet all of the above, and to ATX2.1 and PCIe 3.0 standards, then sure, fine idea. However, I would argue that it’s far safer (to the components with the PC) to save an appropriate amount of money and purchase a decent PC-specific PSU.
I have to agree. It would not be a trivial matter to modify a 24V supply to get all the required voltages. One could not plug that 24 V into circuits requiring the voltage to be at a lower level, e.g. 5V, and expect that it would work. Doing so would almost certainly destroy any and all circuitry on that 5V circuit.

Back