TechSpot

$13 Txtr Beagle is the smallest and cheapest E Ink ereader around

By Matthew
Oct 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Although Amazon's most affordable Kindle is now only $69, German company Txtr believes there's plenty of room for competition in the budget ereader market, unveiling a new device that costs about as much as a paperback. At €10 (about $13),...

Read more

2. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 567   +105

I really see no point in this product. Its like saying "Lets do everything I can do on my phone anyways...but in black and white!"

3. Ahmed90

Ahmed90 TS Member Posts: 96   +9

If its so small and needs a smartphone so you can manage it .. why not reading on the smartphone in first place :p

4. Try sitting outside and reading ANYTHING on your amoled screen (until its battery runs out after a couple of hours) - then look at the e-ink screen and the sorts of questions asked in the previous posts just vanish . . . .(as does what you are trying to read on your phone, tablet etc.)

gamoniac likes this.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,254   +1,550

Tell me about it, I don't understand the desire in having an eReader at all. Whats next, a specific device made for only reading emails but yet you have to use your phone to download them?

ghasmanjr likes this.
  6. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

I have to agree with Guest. Battery life is really short on smart phones, specially if you used it for powering your screen long enough to read a bookchapter.

7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,966   +389

I cant even read ereaders. im a huge techie and I have to do normal books. idk why.

8. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 992   +31

First of all, I think it's cool. For one thing because I can imagine how it works. Around 6 years ago I had a personal project to create an e-reader, and my thought was using an inexpensive microcontroller and encoding books as BW images. I'm guessing that's what Txtr is doing, and why it's only able to store 5 books in its 4GB.

You know, I should have patented the idea and litigated the hell out of them. Not. :) Really, if I'm right about the implementation, then design-wise it's very close to what I had in mind, including the use of normal batteries.

What I like about this is the cost. It's something that if you break or lose, you can just go buy another one.

9. How irrigate, nobody speaking in this video, they are not humanoids just robots or what, interesting needware product and cheap, but I never buy cause this stupid ad remember always if I touch, forget

10. I can't agree with "guest" or ramonsterns, ebooks are fine on my phone, and the battery lasts for days - ergo no need for cheaper readers.

11. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Enthusiast Posts: 239   +54

Agreed. Pretty much every e-reader owner still carries a cell phone. So the remaining question for a potential buyer is just -- which e-reader: Nook, Kindle, or TxtrBeagle?

12. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,426   +116

@ET3D if your idea is how it works, downloading a book ?750mb ? downloading it and sending through cellphone bluetooth... OUCH!

I would've loved it to have wifi instead of a bluetooth module, even for a couple more bucks.

I'm pretty sure the lack of connectivity makes this a bad choice for a hacker toy.

13. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 992   +31

Guest who reads on his phone, what phone do you have?

Frankly, I dislike the slow refresh of e-ink displays, but I'd still prefer an e-ink based reader to a phone. Then again, I don't like 4.8" display phones. I think that I'd enjoy reading more on a 7" tablet.

14. This would be great for kids. At these prices I could see a private school using these to replace textbooks. Churches using them to replace hymnals or even handed out by employers for industries that rely heavily on training manuals etc...Replace all kinds of printed items.

15. I take it you don't read much on on your smartphone? If you did you'd realize how the IMOLED burns your retinas. E-ink displays are like reading a newspaper.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.