1333 cpu with 800 single channel memory controller?

By z0k!
May 7, 2008
  1. hi

i have recently bought a new pc consisting of an xfx n630i/geforce 7100 mobo and core 2 duo e6550 1333mhz fsb 4mb cache.

i found out that my mobo only suppports ddr2 800 in single channel mode.i just want to ask if thats any sort of performance limitation with regards to my cpu's potential.should i have bought a lower fsb processor?

2. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

it is not the processor making the problem, it is the mother board. dual channel would be better, but if u are not doing any thing but Office, e-mail, surfing the net u will never see a difference, for gaming u will see the difference.
  3. z0k!

z0k! TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 61

what i meant was i invested in a 1333 bus processor for nothing if its never going to reach its full potential with my boards memory controller limiting the bandwidth.i do play games and i also fancy playing crysis :) but i need to keep in budget.

any recommendations for a mainstream gaming board that would not act as a bottleneck?

i also read on wikipedia that dual channel architecture doesnt provide any gains in real terms.quote was from "tom's hardware"
  4. z0k!

z0k! TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 61

can any1 specify where do i get a bottleneck among the config i've mentioned.
    i.e.xfx nforce 630i/geforce 7100 mobo and core 2 duo e6550 1333mhz fsb 4mb cache,2x1gb corsair xms2

what would be a more optimum config.

i do plan to add a discrete graphic card.keep your point of view with a gaming perspective in mind.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.