TechSpot

1333 cpu with 800 single channel memory controller?

By z0k!
May 7, 2008
  1. hi

i have recently bought a new pc consisting of an xfx n630i/geforce 7100 mobo and core 2 duo e6550 1333mhz fsb 4mb cache.

i found out that my mobo only suppports ddr2 800 in single channel mode.i just want to ask if thats any sort of performance limitation with regards to my cpu's potential.should i have bought a lower fsb processor?

thanks

2. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,638

it is not the processor making the problem, it is the mother board. dual channel would be better, but if u are not doing any thing but Office, e-mail, surfing the net u will never see a difference, for gaming u will see the difference.

3. z0k!

z0k! TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 70

what i meant was i invested in a 1333 bus processor for nothing if its never going to reach its full potential with my boards memory controller limiting the bandwidth.i do play games and i also fancy playing crysis :) but i need to keep in budget.

any recommendations for a mainstream gaming board that would not act as a bottleneck?

i also read on wikipedia that dual channel architecture doesnt provide any gains in real terms.quote was from "tom's hardware"

4. z0k!

z0k! TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 70

can any1 specify where do i get a bottleneck among the config i've mentioned.
    i.e.xfx nforce 630i/geforce 7100 mobo and core 2 duo e6550 1333mhz fsb 4mb cache,2x1gb corsair xms2

what would be a more optimum config.

i do plan to add a discrete graphic card.keep your point of view with a gaming perspective in mind.

thanks

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.