15 Titles Every PC Gamer Should Own

Interesting list, but it reads more like the author's 15 favorites. At least a third of the games are fantasy/medieval RPGs, a genre in which I have absolutely no interest.

There is no way to make a definitive list that applies to all PC gamers. No flight or space combat sims? No RTS? No racing games? No sports games? (No, LoL does not count). A list like this probably should have at least one of each of those genres represented.

Still a nice article though!

"Every PC gamer should own"? These are quite different genres, and it's likely that most gamers don't cover all these genres. Even if they do, there's no real need to own certain old games.

Really, there are no games that "every PC gamer should own". You could make a list of "best FPS", "best RPG", etc., and that might have some value. Even then, nothing is a "must own".

Or perhaps there's a distinction here from "must play". We all know that people buy a lot more than they play. Maybe you're trying to imply that owning certain games (even if not playing them) is good as a bragging point or something?

I have been playing on the PC for 20 years, and I have no interest on half the games on this list.
Also, a lot of the games that I do like, are not on this list.
And I think that a lot of PC gamers will feel the same.
So why would you make an article clamming that every PC gamer should own games they don't care about? Probably because this article was written by a self centred person, that can't understand that PC gamming is so wide in genres, that a lot of people play different games.

So then it's wrong to do an article '15 titles every PC gamer should own'? I think you are being too uptight. Gosh, if someone has to think about every possible problem with every possible thing they do, no one would get anything done. You can be trusted to filter out the useful content for yourself can't you? Calling the person self-centered is a bit over the top. Are you sure you are not being self-centered by dictating that the article should be more relevant to you? Bigger things to worry about in life.

I have been playing on the PC for 20 years, and I have no interest on half the games on this list.
Also, a lot of the games that I do like, are not on this list.
And I think that a lot of PC gamers will feel the same.
So why would you make an article clamming that every PC gamer should own games they don't care about? Probably because this article was written by a self centred person, that can't understand that PC gamming is so wide in genres, that a lot of people play different games.
Exactly for the reason you mentioned it's impossible to please everyone no matter what game he recommends.

I think what this needs is more definition by style. There are decidedly different preferences among gamers. Take POV: 1st person (seeing through the protagonists eyes), 3rd person (main player(s) in full length, usually somewhat centered on screen) AND what I call 2nd person (over the shoulder with varying centeredness, but mostly several feet behind) which improves peripheral vision. Take thematic focus: Action, Adventure, RPG, Sports, Strategy, etc. Some folks prefer Bazooka chewing gum, other Wrigley's peppermint.

What are the key parameters for you?

Pathetic list, I must admit.

Stardew Valley? LOL
Halo: Combat Evolved? WUT?
Doom 2 ? Hah.
World of Warcraft? GTFO
Thief 2? Nah
League of Legends? Hells to the no.

Most of these could easily be replaced by "honorable mentions" which you included, which are FAR more deserving. And there are some, which had way more impact on gamers (and still do) which did not make the list.

You were suppose to create a list of games that "every gamer" should own.

Why on earth should anyone own Doom II, or Star Dev for crying out loud?
Seriously.

Honestly this list isn't too bad. But by far personal preference.

Stardew Valley while great fun is most def a honorable mentions type of game, along with world of warcraft, Thief 2, and League of Legends.

Halo:CE on the other hand is a staple of the FPS world. The Story and gameplay, with the pacing and atmosphere that was presented. At the time of release was just never seen in a video game before. The original Half Life showed what a more scripted story could do to a game. But this game just set the bar for everything that followed. On consoles it defined the controller layout we still use today, on PC it offered on the best multiplayer experiences for the time. I personally spent hours playing halo ce online on the computer, before halo 2 would explode on the xbox. The Story is still great to this day. I feel the only people that look down on this game are people that never played it and got to experience it in the time frame it launched. Just cause one may hate xbox or how overrated the halo series got later in life. This game deserves all it, as historically it was the game that defined how the genera would work even 2 decades later.

Doom 2 is a classic. I can understand that some people never got to experience DOS and windows 3/3.11 growing up. I did. Doom 2 is a classic, takes everything from doom and refines it. Honestly I do like some of the chapters from the original doom more, but doom 2 is just ton of fun even today. GZDOOM makes playing those old Doom games on modern system a breeze, and with come keymap changes and enabling mouse look. The game plays like a modern game. I love it and still boot up doom/doom 2 every few years for some classic fun. There are a lot of doom clones that were also great, like star wars dark forces or duke nukem. But for 90's era games there are so many great games, like Fallout 2, System Shock 2, and Diablo. Along with many more. Hard to pick the best. But the game that made the biggest impact in the gaming world. Doom/Doom 2 from a historical view fits that mark.

Company of Heros should have been on this list. It is the best RTS game ever made hands down.

Bioshock or Bioshock infinite should have been on this list as well.

Honestly IMO the last 10 years had a lot of quality games, but nothing I would ever put on a list for "Must Play" or "Best of a Genera". Other than two or three, Bioshock being one. Portal 2 being the other. Mass Effect 2 would be my Third, and up there on my list. But is not a perfect game.

Witcher 3- Great, and maybe even list worthy. But IMO you pick this or skyrim for a list, not both.

BoTW- Honestly would be list worthy if it had more content. Only a few enemies in the game, and no epic side quests.

The PS4/XB1 generation has been the worst I've ever experienced. Sony had some decent exclusives like Spiderman, but that game isn't even list worthy. Great fun, and enjoyed my time with it. But overall had a fair many flaws.

Last edited:
Rainbow 6 no one lives forever 1 2 war craft 1-3 tie fighter s w alliance dark forces jedi knight 1 2 dark forces +exp pack system shock 1 2 +3 when it arrives. silent hill s 1 2 3 the room + rest of sh games. ms dos classics raptor wingstar doom 1 2 doom 3 bfg doom 2016 +eternal sooon. hexen 1 2

all games collection in the world 1979-2020 google.no put this ones inside

Last edited:
I'm not saying it's a bad list, I'm just wondering where Counter-Strike is, and as another commenter said, the lack of any RTS games like CoH or StarCraft is noticeable.

I came to this article after reading the title feeling much the same way everyone else in the comments. But then I read the first three paragraphs. I now feel no one else in the comments bothered to read the first three paragraphs.

I came to this article after reading the title feeling much the same way everyone else in the comments. But then I read the first three paragraphs. I now feel no one else in the comments bothered to read the first three paragraphs.
If you are referring to the "With the help of feedback from our readers and staff members, we're bringing you our breakdown of the top 15 titles". I literally read this website daily and I don't recall being asked for feedback on a top list of games...

If you are referring to the "With the help of feedback from our readers and staff members, we're bringing you our breakdown of the top 15 titles". I literally read this website daily and I don't recall being asked for feedback on a top list of games...
Unless you visit the forums (aside from these front-page articles), I can see why you would say that lol

Maybe I am getting too old but I can not see a thing in the Divinity screenshot. Is that mess actually something playable?
I played only 5 of the list :)

It does look confusing, but that screenshot is taken at the exact moment an attack is being used by one of the characters. The surfaces also react to abilities used by the characters. The combat is actually turn-based and rather paced, and so its much easier to keep up with than that screenshot might make you think at a glance. In fact, during my last play through, sometimes I would only get through one major combat instance in an entire night.

Man, so much whining over a title that gets explained in the first few paragraphs. And people wonder why gamers get stereotyped as being childish and whiny lol.

As for the list, it certainly has a lot of more mainstream, iconic games (as it should). A lot on here I wouldn't play, and a lot that I would (and have).
I probably would've added at least Starcraft/Red Alert and a Mech Warrior game.
But Stardew Valley certainly deserves to be there (despite the condescending tone from some others). I definitely recommend that one as a fan of old Harvest Moon games...

Unless you visit the forums (aside from these front-page articles), I can see why you would say that lol
That's cool, no complaints there except shouldn't it read:

"With the help of feedback from our forum and staff members"??

If I'm not a reader, then I'm totally lost :laughing:

Back