The Best Phones: Top Picks for Every Price Range

One again Motorola gets shafted. No mention of the motorola thinkphone, which regularly goes on sale for $500 or less, and has a snapdragon 8 gen 1+, along with a 5000 mhz battery and 120hz display. Or the moto G stylus, which for $350 blows the other phones in its price category away with better battery life and a snapdragon as opposed to a xeynos. The 2024 moto g power comes with 8 GB of RAM and a headphone jack for $300.

I just got the OnePlus 12R as an upgrade from my OnePlus nord n200.

Performance is awesome, battery life is awesome, camera is fine, oxygenOS stays out of the way.
I prefer it over my Iphone 14 work phone.

I got the 16gb ram version.

Peeps in the comments who are asking about Motorola - they don't keep their software up to date. They never have. Go all the way back to when the Android Update Alliance was signed: Motorola had their Atrix 4G. They updated it once, 3 months after release, and never again.

Motorola's entire brand strategy has been to release an unsupportable number of models. At times, Motorola has over 30 models of phones out, within a reasonable update period, at a time, and none of them are supported with software updates.

IF Motorola decided to reduce the number of models they released down to 3, and supported it, and continued that policy for 3+ consecutive years, then I'll reconsider my position. So far they haven't

Peeps in the comments who are asking about Motorola - they don't keep their software up to date. They never have. Go all the way back to when the Android Update Alliance was signed: Motorola had their Atrix 4G. They updated it once, 3 months after release, and never again.

Motorola's entire brand strategy has been to release an unsupportable number of models. At times, Motorola has over 30 models of phones out, within a reasonable update period, at a time, and none of them are supported with software updates.

IF Motorola decided to reduce the number of models they released down to 3, and supported it, and continued that policy for 3+ consecutive years, then I'll reconsider my position. So far they haven't
Motorola G devices receive 3 years of security updates, 4 if you buy the thinkphone, and last year announced they would be doing 4 years of security updates across the board. It's not 2011 anymore, The Alliance you quote was nearly 14 years ago, time to bring yourself up to speed.

My daughter has the Nokia 6300 and man it really says something about the feature phone market that it's considered the best of the bunch.

It's just hot garbage, and not because it isn't a smartphone. Terrible battery life (only lasts about a day or two), gawd awfully slow performance, kai OS is obtuse trash that is difficult to navigate.

Give those of us that are buying a feature phone for it's lack of features a good, long lived, performant option for $99 instead of some bottom bin trash for $69.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. My old G73 device is up to date with all the latest updates. In fact, back in February, I even updated it to Android 14.

Motorola has very decent devices, and relatively clean software.

I went out and bought a Pixel 7a yesterday based on the review. First new phone since my Galaxy Note 5 (wow). Good looking fair budget mid-range phone, but so nice compared to my old life!
I have to say, transferring all my old stuff over USB was a breeze and it instantly recognized my PureTalk SIM. Not a single issue!

I've really been enjoying my S23+. Only issue which I'm sure I could solve if I was more diligent or changed the case is the charging bay seems to be a magnet for lint which causes the usb-c to stop seating properly every few days.. requiring a toothpick or something to clean it out cuz blowing in there would be a bad idea unless you're using compressed air.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. My old G73 device is up to date with all the latest updates. In fact, back in February, I even updated it to Android 14.

Motorola has very decent devices, and relatively clean software.
He's referring to Motorola's update policy circa 2011, when android 4.1 released.

I've really been enjoying my S23+. Only issue which I'm sure I could solve if I was more diligent or changed the case is the charging bay seems to be a magnet for lint which causes the usb-c to stop seating properly every few days..
My solution there would be using an inexpensive wireless charger, just sit your phone on it overnight and you're good to go. Something like this:

Or if you prefer Samsung:

I just started buying refreshed flagship phones (so far only Samsung Galaxy) with an additional year warranty on eBay. The cost is around $300 to $350. I just wait for the model I want to drop in price. For that price the model is usually three generations old. I always find that phones are more than what I need so I am happy doing it this way.

Apple gave me $350 for my 4 year old iphone 11 pro max when I traded it in for a 15 pro max in October. I wouldn't get anywhere near $350 for even a Galaxy S20 that came out 6 months later (they currently sell for $275 new). On top of that the 11 pro max was running the latest iOS and will continue to do so for years. But the S20 tops out at Android 11, 3 versions behind the latest. And this on a phone that was released 6 months later AND cost more than the iphone 11 pro max.

Basically, Apple will sell you a device that they will stand behind and update for years. And after you are done using it you will get some money back for it. But if you buy an Android phone its going to stop getting updates after a year or 2 and nobody will buy it off you for a meaningful amount of money.

I dont understand how Android phone manufacturers are still in business...

After years with different iPhones (from small 5s to Plus size), I found the best (for me) - iPhone 13 (or 12) mini. And I’m afraid of the time when it dies as there’s no newer iPhone Mini..

Does the Nokia Flip make that little chirping noise when you open it like the communicators on the Enterprise? If so, that will do just fine.

Back