16mb ati rage 128 ultra

laptox

I have the above in a dell dimension desktop. running XP HOME. I can only get the resultion to run at 800X600 - if I switch to 1024 x 768 - the computer wont boot next time. and the slider in control panel won't let me choose anything inbetween ?
Any ideas

It wouldn't hurt to check the Device Manager to see if it shows there is a problem with the graphics driver. In any case you could download the graphics driver from AMD/ATI, uninstall the old driver from Add or Remove Programs, and install the new driver. See if that helps.

Device manager shows no problem. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. - Still the same

Was it always like this or did it suddenly change recently? If it recently changed, you could try using System Restore to restore it to a point before the change. With System Restore you can undo the change or go to another restore point if you are not satisfied with the results.

Also, when installing the graphics driver make sure you are installing the right version for your card. I believe it should be here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/legacy-xp.aspx

It is a system rebuild. I got the drivers from the dell disk that was supplied with the computer - but also downloaded some from the ATI web site. Still the same won't let me alter the slider. Its let me click on the max resolution - but then it doesn't boot next time.

Are you uninstalling the old graphics driver through Add or Remove Programs or through Device Manager? Uninstalling through Device Manager doesn't really remove it and reinstalling a new driver on top of the old one can cause odd problems.

Back