1gb hd 4830

Status
Not open for further replies.

red1776

hello highly informed group,
Im putting together yet another budget gaming system for a friend and have decided on the ati HD 4830. Does anyone know what the performance increase is with the 1gb version as opposed to the 512mb? I cannot find any 1gb reviews online. it seems to be a fast enough card to take advantage of the additional memory, but thought someone might know for sure as its about a $50 difference.

thanks

It will not be of any use. You cannot game well enough at the resolutions the extra VRAM is intended for, so it just seems like a marketing gimmick more than anything else to me.

Hi Rage,
I was hoping you would stop by!:), thats what i was wondering, but questioned it as most of the reviews have the 4830 within 10% of the 4850, and at what speed does the extra memory help with texture loading?

The extra memory does not really matter when it comes to texture loading if you have a lot of RAM, since RAM access is far faster than accessing the VRAM on the card. The extra memory serves as a framebuffer at very high resolutions such as 1920x1200, but since the GPU cannot provide playable framerates at such resolutions (unless you turn down the graphics settings), there is no point of getting such a card. Especially since people who can afford to spend that much on a monitor capable of that resolution can also afford an ultra-high-end card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back