2.5" SATA drive - data recovery

By javastring
Feb 23, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. My laptop stopped booting in either safe/command or normal mode. it keeps shutting down after first Windows logo screen(animated block moving from left to right) and keeps repeating...

So to recover data i took drive out and connected as via adapter to USB port. Now when i open it it says 'drive not formmated'. So used EASEUS - it went though and pulled about 25GB data but all are in 'SWF' and 'GZ' format. nothing else.

Can someone guide me what can i do to either fix or recover data?

Thank you,
  2. robin_bga

robin_bga Newcomer, in training Posts: 258

Hi, i think you should download Hiren use Acronis its better at restoring partitions...

Hope that helps
  3. mike1959

mike1959 TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,046   +15

I have had very good results recovering all types of 'lost' data using this;
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva
    Be sure to save the recovered data to a different drive than the one it is coming from.
  4. javastring

javastring Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 52

Ok thank i will try those today and input the result.

do you know, what could have caused this problem?
  5. javastring

Hi robin_bga
    i downloaded thsi file but it needs password to unzip it - do you know what that is?
    Also can you give me high level how to use this software?
  6. robin_bga

robin_bga Newcomer, in training Posts: 258

Its usually xxx, try that and see...
    Cheers bro
  7. javastring

Robin_bga, pw worked, looks like it has bunch of utilities, i will try ones that show its by 'Acronis' - let me know if i understood wrong...

Mike1959,
    periform software is not working, i believe beacause windows still show drive is not formatted.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.