2.5" SATA HDD Enclosure not recognized?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so eysterday I have bought a case for my spare 2.5" HDD but the problem is that my PC wont recognized it. I have formatted the drive though using a PS3 because that's where the HDD came from. When I plugg it in it wont come up as new hardware or anything. I have checked disk management and unfortunatelly no luck there either. I am using Vista Ultimate and the HDD gets powered though the USB cable. The green light is on and I hear it turn on but there is no indication on the PC itself that it is connected.

Any suggestions?

Is it Sata or ATA harddrive?

Have you tried the back USB ports (some front USB are not USB2)

I have formatted the drive though using a PS3
What format? Fat32 or NTFS
Actually I've never formatted through PS3, so that's new to me (having PS2 only)

As I have mentioned is it a SATA notebook 60GB. It has been fromatted in FAT32. I have checked all of my USB ports and I am sure they are USB2.0 as I am using my external 500GB USB 2.0 HDD on it and it works perfectly. I also have tried it on my other PC. The SATA drive is a spare HDD I got from my PS3 when I exchanged the 60GB for a 250GB so it was just collecting dust so I decided to use it for something.

Ofcourse the heading (Sata)
the problem is that my PC wont recognized it
Can you remove the Sata from the case and mount it inside your computer again, and also remove any other drives (your present C drive)

Boot the computer with your Windows CD, and remove the partition (and format) from there

You can also use Gparted live CD

I had a problem with my SATA external drive as well. I had to format mine and it worked perfectly since but I am kinda suprised that Windows wont recognized yours at all since it is formatted in FAT32. Just because you have used it on the PS3 previously doesn't mean it should not work on the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back