2 computers in seperate rooms using the same cable modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 computers, both hooked up tp a cable modem through an ethernet router. I want to move one computer to anuther room. Should I use a wired approach and stretch a cable through my attic and if so what class of cable? And how would I attatch it to the wall? Or should I use a wireless approach?

thanks, Dylan

I'd recommend you use CAT5e or CAT6 and run it wired unless it is too much trouble to do so. I only recommend using wireless when you can't feasibly run the cable, or when using "portable" systems such as laptops.
If you do go with the wireless approach, I'd recommend the use of wireless USB adapter rather than a PCI card, the cards don't normally get a very good signal because of the placement of the antenna, case placement is also a factor here. The USB adapters are usually attached to the end of a cable and can be placed for optimal signal.

I would also definately suggest wired connections if at all possible. Remember you could run it through your ventilation system if you can't get to your attic. But I think you will be much more pleased with your wired setup than wireless, especially if they are 2 desktops. It would be different if one was a laptop :)

Just as others have mentioned, wired is going to offer consistent and dependable network / Internet access for both of your computers. This is recommended.

It isn't that wireless does a bad job, but there's just too many variables to take into consideration. Interference in the way of radio and physical objects weakens wireless considerably and the expense can be prohibitive depending on your setup.

Wireless may work perfectly for you, but if you can do wired, you are guaranteed to be 100% satisfied. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back