2 Copys of Windows on 1 HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIMMY

Hi, I just recently installed a fresh copy of windows on my HD. Well I've reformatted before and all so I'm not new, but I did it a different way because my cd wasn't booting from the startup so I started the install while i was logged onto my old copy of windows.

Ok, so the setup ran through fine until I got to the part where you select your partitions and whether you want to delete, repair or creat a new one etc.
When i tried to delete the existing partition i was told that windows could not delete the partition because temporary files were on that partition that were needed to complete the setup.

I already tried going through the setup again after I installed it to see if it would let me delete it again also.

Well my question is: how do i make my new partion (with the fresh copy of windows) my primary partition and delete the old partition because it's no longer needed.

Thanks.

Which partition is it? You cannot delete the boot partition, nor can you rearrange partitions in a way that would make the drive letters change.

Safe mode isn't going to do anything because as Nodsu said you can't delete the boot partition. He's going to have to boot from something else, if the cd isn't bootable thats fishy right there, but lets say his legal copy still won't boot for unknown reasons, a way to work around that would be to have a floppy drive and boot from it to begin the install.

in my disk managment it says the fresh copy is boot, and the old copy is system. I'm actually using the fresh copy right now. theres nothing wrong with my system at all, it's just the fact that i've got a whole nother partition whoring my hd space.

i know, i've already transfered my files to the partion with the fresh copy of windows with no problems. now i was to delete the other partition :X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back