TechSpot

2 hard drives boot problems

By Frac
Jun 15, 2009
  1. ok yesterday i installed another hard drive (IDE) and the 1 that I already have in there is a SATA2 hard drive
    IDE hhd has ubuntu on it
    SATA2 has windows on it
    when there is power to the IDE hdd it boots to Ubuntu and doesn't give me the option
    same with when I don't have the power to the IDE hard drive it boots to windows and doesn't give me the option to choose
    and i want to have the option to boot to Ubuntu or Windows
    i have changed the boot sequence so it boots from my SATA2 not the IDE
    I goto Start->Control Panel->Administrative tools->computer Management->Disk management
    and heres whats there
    [​IMG]
    Any help?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Looks like the C drive has 3 partitions, and no other physical drive is present.The C drive is formatted NTFS. Is this the ubuntu installation? It is never recommended to install a hard drive loaded with an OS from another computer...

Boot from the Windows OS disc and see if the Windows partition is still visible. If it is, try repairing that installation

3. Frac

Frac TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 47

Thanks but I got it figured out last night :)

4. Tmagic650

What was the fix?

5. Frac

Frac TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 47

Fix

Formated the other Hard drive (IDE) then reinstalled ubuntu on it and edited the grub or boot loader and added the lines needed for it to have the option to bot to ubuntu or windows

6. Tmagic650

Thanks for the added info :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.