2 hard drives, dual boot straightforward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gubar

Hi,

I've got vista installed at the moment, and am about to buy windows 7 and a new hard drive. If I install 7 on the new drive then re-connect the old drive to the mobo, will I get an option on boot?

Also, if I boot on 7, can I just access all the data on the other drive like any other extra drive, given that it has an os on it?

My mobo is a tyan thunder k8we, with 2 x opteron 280s,

thanks,

gubar

Hi

no it wont dual boot, you would have to install a third party boot program

yes you will be able to access the other OS, although you may have to take ownership of the drive.

I dont know why you'd want to do that ...... there is much easier solution to do the same; just plug in your new HDD, let everything remain same and format your HDD from vista ....... then boot from your win 7 disk and install win 7 on that new hdd and you should be done.

However, what i have always done is .... i always put all OSes i want to use on one HDD (separate partitions ofcouse) ...... and secondary hdds are for data .... :)

Goodluck

The boot choice can be selected thru the BIOS at bootup if you like...but some people find this cumbersome.

The advantage of this setup comes when creating backup images of each OS as they are not dependent on the bootloader but are independent of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back