Inactive 2 laptops simultaneously affected - Not sure why!Virus?Malware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Can anyone cast their professional opinion over a problem I am experiencing on both of our laptops? I don't know if it is virus/malware related or if it is a hardware fault - The 2 laptops:
ACER Aspire One Happy N55DQpp
Toshiba Satellite C650
Both have acquired the same problem:
Web pages when clicked on are displayed in webcode so have to refresh
Cannot install ANY program, nor can we run anything downloaded from a website
eg. NSIS error on every program we attempt to install, Windows found a problem(digital signature), File corrupt, download a new copy etc etc.Tried to install Hijack This & error message stated that the installation directory should be a local hard drive....when I assume my C: drive is a local hard drive & windows cannot complete the extraction - the destination file could not be created??
I took both machines to our local repair shop to have them wiped & a new Windows 7 copy installed however I don't know if they have formatted & installed or just installed & kept the problem.

It's at this point I am stuck as to what to do...I can't install, run or download anything! My wife is also experiencing page loading problems on her Iphone whilst connected to our home connection.

So far I have tried to install adadware, ASWMBR, Rootkitbuster just to see if they install but no luck...can't even download Firefox - says the file is corrupt when I try to run the setup

Apologies for my lack of knowledge but to what extent can a modem, router/internet connection be affected if both PC's are infected?

Any ideas?....

Welcome to TechSpot! While we only handle a single system on each thread, here are 2 possibilities for reasons both laptops share the same problem:
First Questions:
1. If they are both connecting through the same wireless router, the DNS Changer malware could be at fault.
2. If you are using the same flash drive on both systems, it could be infected and spread the infection to both systems.

You should stop looking for and running random programs to try and fix the systems. That could add to the already existing problem.

Second question set: Please address the following:
1. Are you both connecting through the same router?
2. Are you getting any internet connection at all?
3. Do you have a flash drive? We can clean it.
4. Can you boot into Safe Mode?

This is a BIG unknown:
I took both machines to our local repair shop to have them wiped & a new Windows 7 copy installed however I don't know if they have formatted & installed or just installed & kept the problem.
Third question set:
1. Did you problems you describe begin before or after you had them 'repaired.
2. Do you now have Windows 7 Installed?
Did you upgrade to Win 7 from an earlier Windows OS or was it a reformat/reinstall of the previously existing Win 7?
==========================================
NSIS Error 1
The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus.
NSIS Error 2:
Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include> incomplete download and damaged media> Contact the installer’s author to obtain a new copy.
NSIS Error 3:
Problematic network connectivity, either due to faulty network card, or Internet or LAN connection to upload, download and transfer files been blocked or restricted.
=========================================
I have tried to set this up so you can easily answer each question set by number. You don't have to quote my reply. When I review this information, hopefully I will be able to guide you.

Hi there,
First question:
Both machines are connected to the same router
We do have shared flash drives however these are at work and have not been in use recently

Second question:
We have an internet connection on both machines although they are not 100% ie pictures missing, blank pages, webcode instead of a page, bottom bar stating errors on page
Both can be booted into safe mode
We assumed a "laptop repair" facility would know what they were doing however when they said they had just reinstalled Windows 7 I suspected this was a waste of time & money!
Third question:
Both laptops had these problems before & after the reinstallation and both were originally purchased with Windows 7 installed

The NSIS error message reads as follows:

Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete downloads and damaged media. Contact the installers author to obtain a new copy.

I have a runtime error 216 at 00000492 on 1 program
file is corrupt when attempting a Firefox download
Windows cannot complete the extraction. The destination file could not be created

Cannot install ANY program, nor can we run anything downloaded from a website
eg. NSIS error on every program we attempt to install,

If I am understanding you correctly, the NSIS error comes up for everything and anything you try to install. Is this correct?
What this message means?
The installer has failed a self-check. This means that for some actions, the installer file has been altered from its original form. If the install were to continue, the software install would not be complete and will be broken. To prevent further problems, the installer refused to continue.

Since this affects all downloads you attempt, the likely suspect is the Windows Installer. So we'll try to replace it- then try to find what damaged it. Please note: This could be a software or a hardware problem.

If you are receiving this problem from an installer located on a disc or other media besides the Internet, then the problem may be due to a hardware failure or more likely the physical media being damaged.
=====================================
1.Were you ever able to install without problem on either laptops?
2. If yes, can you remember any specific download, after which this problem started?
3. Did the 2 laptops come from a manufacturer- meaning they would basically be clean except for the pre-loaded junk?
4. Has Windows 7 been correctly activated on both computers?

If #1, 3 & 4 are 'Yes', then something done on the system may have corrupted the Windows Installer.
  1. Click on Start> Run> Type cmd> Enter
  2. Type each of these commands and press "Enter" after each:
    [o]cd %windir%\system32
    [o]ren msi.dll msi.old
    [o]ren msiexec.exe msiexec.old
    [o]ren msihnd.dll msihnd.old
    [o] Type Exit at the command prompt to close the Command utility.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Log on and open your Web browser and type "www.microsoft.com" in the address bar.
  5. Follow this path: Run your cursor over Downloads and Trials> Select Download Center from drop down menu.
  6. Select Product Families> Click on Windows.
  7. Select Show Downloads For> Choose Microsoft Windows Installer
  8. Click on the most recent Microsoft Windows Installer download.
  9. Download the files and save them all to your computer> Accept Terms of Agreement
  10. After the installation, close all open windows and restart your computer so the changes can take effect.
  11. Log in, and Windows Installer should be fully functional.
================================
Let me know how this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back