2 OSs - 2 HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run a web server and it is showing its age and parts are failing. No CD capabilitites anymore.

I would like to take the HDD out of the old server and plug it into a newer PC I have next to it.

The server is running Windows 2000 Server. The newer machine is running XP Pro. Can I just unplug and then plug server HDD in newer and will it boot up like the old? (provided I disconnect the original HDD)

Or will I have to go in and make CMOS changes at bootup?

Can anybody give me a quick 1 - 2 - 3 on the process? I can run both HDDs in same machine, but just need the server now. The newer machine has a faster processor, more RAM, etc.

Thanks in advance...

You won't be able to just swap hds and have it boot. Espically not with different hardware between the 2 machines.

If you put a blank hd in the server (as slave, or on another channel) you can use some disk utilities from the blank hd's manufacturer and it will clone your existing hd onto your new one. I believe MaxBlast for Maxtor drives is what I used when one of my drives was failing. Thats probably your best bet, but you'd either need a new hd, or to sacrifice that one in your XP box.

It's probably worth backing up, formatting the disk and reinstalling the server OS. It will cause to many problems otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back