2 windows XP legal questions

By hatchmar
Oct 19, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my beautiful, loving wife accidentally threw out the papers that came with my New Windows XP sp2 disk (thank god I saved the Key!) and I was wondering if it was legal to do 2 things-

1: I plan on building another computer for my own personal use at home and want to know if its legal to use that XP disk for the one I am about to build

2: My brother's computer is messed up and he has no recovery disk and there is no"restore" feature built in to it, so can I use my XP disk to do a repair to his computer? He is having problems with "missing wininet.dll" errors and I think all i have to do is copy them from the disk into the dllcache folder.... i think. so Is that legal?

I just want to stay on the correct side of the law and supposedly help keep software prices down by not doing anything considered to be piracy. Thanks!
  2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

you cannot use it if that copy of XP is allready installed on your current computer. if however you are building a new computer and not going to have that copy of XP on your current machine then yes, you can use it.

Yes, you can use any copy of XP to perform repairs on another XP machine.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.