20 Years of Steam: From Half-Life 2 to the Steam Deck

And still, after all these years, they are VERY limited on what they allow the account holder to change. You can change PW but not your user name so if you've been hacked you have little chance to shaking them off. They also allow game makers to abuse their system, listing games forever and charging access fee's with no fear of being de-listed. I have several games that say "coming soon" and they have had this for over two years. AND the Steam CEO answers questions about this with vague comments and NO commitment to getting the makers off their duff or BANNING them from charging for access to development. Steam is right, like what comes off fresh cow droppings .....

I finally got a steam account in 2009 - prior to this didn't see much point in joining up (L4D was the game that made me sign up). I now have nigh on 2000 games available to download and play at anytime (not just steam, across GOG, EPIC, Ubisoft connect (formally Uplay), Battlenet, EA app (formally Origin) though the vast majority are on Steam. Yes I would prefer all to be through the steam interface (the disk management for games is so much better than the other "stores") and unfortunately GOGs "integration" of other gaming stores is a little buggy (keeps losing connections). I think the last physical game I bought for PC was Mass Effect 3 - though I still buy PS5/PS4 games on disk occasionally. Edited to add: Yes I still have a Steam Controller - the only Steam hardware I own - but I am tempted by a SteamDeck....

And still, after all these years, they are VERY limited on what they allow the account holder to change. You can change PW but not your user name so if you've been hacked you have little chance to shaking them off. They also allow game makers to abuse their system, listing games forever and charging access fee's with no fear of being de-listed. I have several games that say "coming soon" and they have had this for over two years. AND the Steam CEO answers questions about this with vague comments and NO commitment to getting the makers off their duff or BANNING them from charging for access to development. Steam is right, like what comes off fresh cow droppings .....
I really need to change that name. I would give them a $100 to do it. I hate my name and love my collection...

What are ya gonna do? Do this until the next thing comes along. I neither like or dislike Steam it's just what is at the moment

Well, I have never used Steam, or any other similar platform, and I still play whatever I want whenever (almost) I want... so...

Last edited:
I feel the author missed several things. They mention SteamOS, but not proton, which has been revolutionary for linux gaming. Or valve crossplay. The only reason we have been freed from microsoft's shackles for PC gaming is because of valve, even if it was done for greedy reasons that has been a major upheaval of the gaming landscape. Today, it is conceivable for someone to run Linux and still play their entire software library from Steam without any issues. When Steam for linux came out in 2013 I couldnt have imagined that being true.
I hated it at first, the whole idea of it. But I must admit they won me over quick enough. Over time Valve has executed quite well.
Valve's focus on customer experience has paid off quite well.
While you have a point on the name thing, are you really blaming Valve for buying games that havent released yet?

I mean you can put as many "dont drink" warnings on a paint can as you want, but some people are gonna drink it anyway I guess......

Why I like and stuck with Steam since Half Life 2??

You don't need your game CDs anymore
You don't need to enter the game SN each time you want to play
It will arrange all your games in a neat library
It will launch any game in seconds.
It will automatically apply game patches.
It will let you move your entire library to another drive in a few strokes.
It will download / install all your games and gets them running whenever you have a new PC.
It has your wish- list and will alert you when your favorite game is on sale.
It will give your a refund if you don't like the game you bought (but not after a year of playing it!) (try that with many game developers..)
It will have all your games in one place not all over your house or basement!

I am sure I am missing another good 20+ reasons, but that's enough for me.

Taking away the freedom of drm free game ownership. Nothing to celebrate about it anymore than celebrating any other monopoly.

You're absolutely right! Steam has played a pivotal role in shaping the landscape of PC gaming. It has not only provided a platform for gamers to purchase and play a vast array of games but has also created a sense of community and social interaction among gamers.
Steam's regular sales, user reviews, and modding support have made it a favorite among PC gamers. The platform has also been instrumental in promoting indie game development, allowing smaller studios to reach a global audience.
While Microsoft, Intel, AMD, and Nvidia all play crucial roles in the hardware and software aspects of PC gaming, Steam has become the central hub where gamers come together to discover, purchase, and enjoy their favorite titles. It's a testament to how a single platform can have a profound impact on an entire industry.

I think what makes steam great is Gabe. He doesn't want Valve to ever be public, so they company is never under pressure from shareholders or can be shorted for not hitting projections. Valve/Steam will carry on being a success for as long as Gabe is alive and still wants to work for his company.

Keep meaning to try HoloISO to see how well Proton really works on a desktop PC (with an nVidia GPU)...
I bet MS would love to buy Valve to keep a lid on this (and reap the huge rewards from Steam).

Back