20Gbps USB 3.2 coming to desktops this year, brings new branding for USB 3.0 & USB 3.1

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: It’s fair to say that the USB standard isn’t exactly clear, but it’s about to get even more confusing. The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) has used Mobile World Congress to announce the new USB 3.2 format, and with it comes name changes for USB 3.0/3.1.

The first official announcement regarding USB 3.2 came back in July 2017. Now, USB-IF has revealed 3.2-capable controllers that allow 20Gbps speeds will be available later this year.

The first USB 3.2 chips are likely to arrive on high-end motherboards this summer, though we'll have to wait a bit longer for the peripherals that take advantage of this standard, with 2020 put forward as a possible date.

Additionally, USB 3.2 is set to absorb the USB 3.0/3.1 branding. So, USB 3.1 Gen 1, which has up to 5 Gbps speeds and was formerly known as USB 3.0, will become USB 3.2 Gen 1. It will have the marketing name of ‘SuperSpeed USB.’

USB 3.1 Gen 2, meanwhile, which supports 10 Gbps, becomes USB 3.2 Gen 2, aka ‘SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps.’ Finally, the upcoming new spec will be called USB 3.2 Gen 2x2, as it uses two high-speed 10 Gbps lanes—only possible with USB Type-C. Its official name is ‘SuperSpeed USB 20Gbps.’

What this rebranding also means is that most future USB devices and ports will be called USB 3.2, making it important for manufacturers to identify their capabilities by using the marketing terms. But whether they choose to do so remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

Opportunity missed. Maybe they will wake up from their stupor and change to something clearer and allow for 'future expansion'. Prospect of USB 3 Gen 2x3 and USB 3 Gen 2x2x2 loom in the distance. Combined into the boggling thought of the related 'marketing terms' (say 'SuperSuperSuper' or 'SuperSpeed USB 4 Gen 2x2x2') are frightening.

Why the need for the USB 3.2 to absorb the whole 3.x name? They could have kept it as

USB 3.0 5Gbps
USB 3.1 10Gbps
USB 3.2 20Gbps

Fortunately this will bring higher speed to cheaper ports, so that's good
Yeah. Any naming other than USB 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 is done to let manufacturers mislead the public, which always leads to confusion. The naming schemes that came after the original 3.0 are just dumb.

Many years from now, when we've all moved on to 100Gbps or more, will they still insist I refer to 5Gbps 3.0 as "SuperSpeed USB?" Maybe they'll solve that by calling USB 4.x "SuperStellerSpeed USB."

Meanwhile I'm happy to refer to this naming scheme as SuperDumb both now and in the future.

As I thought more about this, I started wondering what would happen if the Association of Used Car Dealers announced they had decided to officially re-brand 2014 vehicles as "2019 Gen 1", 2015 vehicles as "2019 Gen 2", etc., etc., and then list all cars on their lots as 2019s.

Would this action be legally defensible, or would a consumer who felt he was deceived be able to prevail by arguing the naming was essentially fraudulent and contrary to both plain meaning and previously established conventions? My guess is that in this hypothetical car case, the Used Car Dealers would not last 24 hours against the Plantiffs Trial Lawyers.

So, legally speaking, what is different with this USB renaming? Anything? Or are they just hoping the general public / lawyers / judges will not be as familiar with the situation and so they'd be able to skate by based on confusion or technical mumbo jumbo?

I know it's about the part that connects to the computer, but how many connectors do we need on the other end & still call it "universal" LOL

Usb 3.2 gen 10x2.0 - because it's 10 times usb 2.0
usb 3.2 gen 2x1 - because it's 2 times gen 1
usb 3.2 gen 2x2

only the old microsft feat can match this: Pocket PC 2003 Edition Second Edition

Back