TechSpot

21% of TVs sold in 2010 had Internet connectivity

By Emil
Jan 5, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. 21 percent of all TVs shipped in 2010 had Internet connectivity. The total this year was fueled by high penetration rates in Japan, according to the research firm DisplaySearch, which expects emerging markets to play a key role in the category. Units in Eastern Europe alone are expected to quadruple from 2.5 million in 2010 to more than 10 million in 2014.

Read the whole story
  2. Mizzou

Mizzou TS Enthusiast Posts: 930

That's an interesting article, had no idea that internet capable TVs had penetrated the market to that extent. Think the concern about total broadband capability is well placed, if anything Netflix streaming will continue to grow along with other providers in the same game.
  3. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,575   +47

I completely agree also. I had no idea they were anywhere as much on the radar as that.

Very surprising.
  4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 970   +84

This is interesting. I've not even looked at a new TV in quite some time since my last set that I purchased about 2 years ago. I'm curious how the makes and models change between manufacturer. How do these Internet TV works, are they running some sort of standard OS, like GoogleTV? Do they come with a wireless keyboard?
  5. I still have a an old CRT TV that works well and looks OK. I have been thinking about purchasing a new TV since the prices are coming down. The one thing I see though is that everything is still changing. 720, 1080, LCD, LED, 3D, Internet, HDMI add in BluRay, Roku, Boxie, Google TV, Apple TV, etc. I'm still waiting until things become more entrenched and prices get even better.
  6. itleaderstoday

itleaderstoday TS Rookie

Will this push ISPs to change their pricing model for broadband access?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.