25 Great Games You Can Play on Laptops and Budget PCs

Ori and the blind forest runs ok on newer integrated. Amazing game if you have something from the past couple of years.

One of the key aspects for gaming on integrated graphics is making sure you have dual channel memory. Obviously when you have the CPU and GPU share a memory pool and especially bandwidth you want as much as possible. It can boost integrated graphics performance significantly.

So if your laptop is still a bit feeble, check you have a couple of modules of RAM in dual channel.

Heh, I was hoping Stardew Valley would make the list. Definitely fits.

Otherwise, I love how it's implied that most laptops are low performance, and most desktops aren't (unless budget) lol
That was one on my original list, which was longer than 25. Had to make some sacrifices, but good game.
Another very easy to run game is Eve Online.
I have not played Eve. I would not have even thought it would run on iGPUs.

That was one on my original list, which was longer than 25. Had to make some sacrifices, but good game.

I have not played Eve. I would not have even thought it would run on iGPUs.
It's from 2004 and still runs on DX7 IIRC. It's actually mostly CPU based.

CCP state the following as minimum hardware requirements (at 1080p resolution, lowest graphics settings):

• CPU: Dual Core @ 2.0 GHz
  • RAM: 4 GB or higher
  • Video: Video: AMD Radeon 2600 XT or NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS or better with at least 256 MB VRAM
  • GPU must support Shader Model 3 / DirectX 9.0c

An 8600 GTS has the same fundamental specification layout as Intel's UHD Graphics 630; so it may well indeed run on systems with iGPUs. Not great, though.

It runs on DX11 and DX12 will be introduced in a future update this year or next year. It's one of the few long running MMOs that actually made multiple big graphical and engine upgrades over the years.

The reason it runs so well is because you can zoom out and lessen the GPU load when there are many ships on your screen. But the game can look great when you want it to.

Here's a nice introduction to the game:

It runs on DX11 and DX12 will be introduced in a future update this year or next year. It's one of the few long running MMOs that actually made multiple big graphical and engine upgrades over the years.

The reason it runs so well is because you can zoom out and lessen the GPU load when there are many ships on your screen. But the game can look great when you want it to.

Here's a nice introduction to the game:

I have a 23m sp character, I just never cared about the graphics engines/updates because it hasn't really changed much since I started playing in 2010. I play at 4k60 and I only notice fps drops undocking from station or in big battles.

My specs are
Ryzen 1700x
Gtx1070ti
16gb of whatever ram
All running while running on Linux Mint 19

Don't know exactly what settings I'm running but I'm pretty sure they're all close to Max aside from AA

Either way, I started playing it on my ATI M4650 laptop back in 2010, but that was at 1366*768. It was still very playable on that. iGPUs of today surely must be faster than my m4650

You can get Rocket League to play OK even on potato Intel IG. Using a 6 year old MacBook Pro with Iris Pro IG, booted to Win 10, RL plays at 900p with 60fps, 100% render resolution.

Yeah, "we don't go to Ravenholm" or.. why not? :)

It's worth noting, the 1st Dishonored, the Chronicles of Riddick, Painkiller and Serious Sam 1/2/3 do feel great still.

If you're up to good visuals and brainf*ck at the same time, don't miss the Witness. It may not entertain you as the Talos Principle though.

Ah, how could I forget Bioshock 3. Or is it better to watch Mulholland Dr.?

Firewatch was the best story-rich walking simulator in my list. Along with "What remains of Edith Finch", which may touch you too deep.

I still enjoy playing battlefield 2 to this day online servers are still going graphics not brilliant but playablity is there

iGPUs of today surely must be faster than my m4650
Yes - the Mobility HD 4650 had 320 shader units, 32 TMUs, 8 ROPs, and roughly 12 GB/s of bandwidth; an Intel UHD 630 has an equivalent of 192 shaders, 16 TMUs, and 8 ROPs (the bandwidth depends on the system memory - for example, DDR4-3200 dual channel is 51 GB/s.) There doesn't seem to be much difference, but the iGPU's clock speed is quite a lot higher than the M4650, so coupled with the better bandwidth, it is going to be faster.

How much faster? Well I gave a 630 (in an i7-9700K) a run through 3DMark03 and got a score of 29442. Laptops of the time that sported the M4650 got between 15000 and 21000; this means the newer iGPU is between 40 and 100% faster, although a good chunk of that will be the CPU itself. The evidence for that is if one using the more graphically intense 3DMark05, I got another score of 29k whereas the website linked shows M4650 laptops getting half that.

For me, it's Dosbox. And hundreds of my favourite titles that can be played with it. Not to mention other emulators like ePSXe, WinUAE, ZSNES, Kega Fusion, which in turn can play hundreds of original classics each. All these can run well even on very old used PCs and laptops.

Just another perspective to the article title.

If you buy a 1060, 1070 or 1080 equipped laptop right now, you'll be spending less than $1000 and you can play virtually any game on the market (even the 1060).

If you buy a 2060 equipped laptop right now which is around $1000 and up, you can play absolutely anything on the market.

Games are very forgiving of specs nowadays.

If you add an Xbox One controller, you get a BETTER experience in gaming than you would with either Xbox One X or PS4.

Attachments

• 90147042_2320683971574817_2259320236996034560_o.jpg
    90147042_2320683971574817_2259320236996034560_o.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 2
Yeah, "we don't go to Ravenholm" or.. why not? :)

It's worth noting, the 1st Dishonored, the Chronicles of Riddick, Painkiller and Serious Sam 1/2/3 do feel great still.

If you're up to good visuals and brainf*ck at the same time, don't miss the Witness. It may not entertain you as the Talos Principle though.

Ah, how could I forget Bioshock 3. Or is it better to watch Mulholland Dr.?

Firewatch was the best story-rich walking simulator in my list. Along with "What remains of Edith Finch", which may touch you too deep.

Great collection!!

And Bioshock 3, aka Bioshock Infinte, is one heck of a game!! The graphics , detail, and story make you think this is a brand new, 2020 release! When I finished it, I went back to play Bioshock 2 which is also great!

I can play assassins creed black flag at 720p and Skyrim se at 1080p on my Ryzen 3500u laptop. However, that laptop is for travelling - which I used to do a lot of. Now I’m stuck at home with a gaming tower..

Back